1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

where are the keywords hiding?

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by Ian.B, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:26 AM.

1. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I have been fiddling with ON1 raw. It's good, more like great for editing but a LONG way behind LR as a photo library.
    ON1 uses a single list for keywords so when a file is sent to ON1 for editing it returns any hierarchy keywords as a single list --- yeah big real quick mess maker lol. And no, cannot be fix inside of ON1. Best way is make a LR v/copy > remove the keywords> send to ON1 > edit > copy and paste to keyword back into the file in LR. That's not worst of it!
    ON1 has found ALL my old disused and even LR deleted keywords --- did I say something about a big real quick mess maker?

So I have experimented with a new LR catalog for new photos with a new simpler single keyword list
    >removed on1 with Revo Uninstaller so every bit is removed
    >reinstalled ON1; but all those old keywords still come up with an ON1 search
    >but if I start to type in a keyword into the new catalog; LR does not make suggestions using the older keywords

So, where would those keywords be hiding on the hard drive for ON1 to find ?

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Keywords are stored in the LR catalog and on any image file where these have been exported or sync'd. AFAIK, On1 does not read the LR catalog database table (it has no reason to).
    On1 uses the keywords found in the EXIF of the images that it "sees" If you use the On1 browser that exposes lots of image files to On1, then On1 picks up keyword in the EXIF of all of the images that it is aware of. If you use the LR plugin extra to start On1 in say Develop, and do not use the On1 Browser, then ON1 modules can be invoked to work on your one single image.

3. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Thank mate; I knew you would have the answer :)

4. LouieSherwin

LouieSherwin Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    This is a similar problem to one that occurred with the Nik HDR Efex Pro app. Nik did eventually try to fix it by using lightroom hierarchal keywords when exporting the images. This worked for about a month when Adobe "fixed" the keyword handling in the Export module to remove any keyword terms marked "do not export" not only from the flat keyword list but also from the hierarchy. Since I make use of quite a few "do not export" terms to aid is my keyword organization this created several new hierarchies every time I use Nik HDR Efex Pro.

I recorded a feature request to at least have an option to allow you to preserve the entire hierarchy when your intention is to round trip the result of the export back into your library. That is after an option of export. Like virtually all of the suggestions for enhancements/fixes to keyword management it is been ignored for years.

This topic has a good discussion of some of the differences between the Export flow and the Edit-in flow.

Lightroom: Export destroys keyword hierarchy when creating derivatives to be included in the catalog

On1 should definitely fix this but they will need to be careful to not stumble over this problem.

-louie

5. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Thanks for the information Louis. I do have a lot of 'do not export' keywords and you have me thinking if I really need to export key words these days anyway -- I could add a few details into the file name and/or caption if need be.
    I know ON1 is working on a hierarchy list.
    I have to add while on1 were hoping for faster and simpler all round system, they are very open to user requests and ideas although I feel too many users want or expect a 'copy' of LR + even more! On1 have great email support :) ATM; ON1 for me is more of a replacement for PS
    My biggest annoyance is each company has it's own keyboard shortcuts. Adobe is better with mostly single keys while corel/on1/acdsee require + Ctrl or Alt and very often a different key to adobe

6. Hal P Anderson

Hal P Anderson Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Well-behaved programs allow you to change which keys map to which functions.

7. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I have not thought to look it that deeply; thanks mate, it's worth a google