Not open for further replies.

davidedric

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi,

Since installing Windows 10, my tablet does to appear to operate correctly. This is not just a lightroom problem, since I got odd behaviour in Photoshop and On1 too.

However, in Lightroom, when using sliders there is a lag between moving the pen and the slider responding. Sometimes the pen will pick up and move the tone curve, sometimes it seems not to, but then two or three moves happen at once.

I've downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Wacom. GPU Acceleration is switched off.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Dave

Comments to both Dave and Jeremy:

Which versions of Windows 10? Is the install up to date with patches?
Are drivers up to date?

I'd try uninstalling the Wacom drivers and reinstall.

I did try re-installing once I noticed the problem, but it made no difference. I suppose I could try again, but I think I am going to do some searching around Wacom and Windows settings, just in case I can spot something.

Dave

There was a setting called Pen Flicks (or something like that) that was causing problems at one stage.

Found it! It was that darn Windows Ink box that had caught me out before, and I'd forgotten.

Thanks, but anyone else reading this...............

Dave

I have an older wacom tablet that sometimes refused to load (not really a Lightroom problem)
My solution was to go to the programs folder and force all the exe files (not just the main program) to open in W7 or 8 compatibility mode (right click)

Found it! It was that darn Windows Ink box that had caught me out before, and I'd forgotten.

Thanks, but anyone else reading this...............

I can't believe more people don't complain about this to get this fricken issue fixed!

Turing off Windows Ink fixes the lag issue - BUT then pressure sensitivity is lost. :mad2:

Do some digging, I found this potential solution to the problem for Photoshop.

With CC2014 Adobe has decided to use Windows Ink for pressure sensitivity, if you turn it off, you loose pressure in Photoshop. However, you can re-enable pressure sensitivity with the following steps and create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality:

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.
Type in the following lines:
# Use WinTab
UseSystemStylus 0
Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt, and save the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\
Then start Photoshop.
Does anyone know if something similar might also work in Lightroom App Data? I don't want to try something I don't understand.

Dave

Does anyone know if something similar might also work in Lightroom App Data? I don't want to try something I don't understand.

I know I tried that a while ago.. No Joy.. :thumbsdown:

Maybe someone knows of another way?

Same here!!!

Hi, im using the wacom intuos pro M, with drivers up to date, and within Win10 environment.

Using it with Photoshop works flawlessly, but not the same when using in Lightroom where the pressure sensitivity doesnt work well since you cant mantain the soft brush even not increasing the pressure of your strokes.

Keeping the pressure the softer u can, the strokes begin soft (as must be) but randomly beguins to create hard spots into the same stroke.
Sin-t%C3%ADtulo-2.jpg

I have checked the "use windows ink" box if I unchecked it, the pressure sensitivity directly doesnt work at all.

Do you know how can I fix that?

I've heard a couple of reports of issues with the latest driver, so rolling back to the previous Wacom driver might help.

I'm also experiencing the issue with Lightroom sliders not moving smoothly when I use my new Intuos Pro tablet. For example, when I attempt to move the exposure slider from the zero point to the right, the slider doesn't move until I've moved the pen a considerable way and then it jumps to a setting of about 30. Once the slider jumps, I am able to move it smoothly to any point on the scale. I researched various forums and tried some of the recommendations such as going to Pen and Touch in Control panel and turning off Press and Hold as a right click and turning off Flicks. These changes didn't help, so I contacted Wacom technical support, and they had me roll back the tablet driver to 6.3.15-3, but this also did not solve the problem. Anyone have any other ideas?

For me it's been this way ever since getting the tablet about a year ago or so.. Through MANY different driver versions.

I can't believe more people don't find this intensely aggravating.

Does it seriously NOT do this for some people??? Windows Ink OFF in Wacom driver: no stutter/delay, but no pressure sensitivity. Windows ink ON: pressure sensitivity, but heavy stutter/delay. It affects both the sliders, AND all on-image adjustments (creating radial, brush, etc). It doesn't affect mouse use in any way, though.

Last edited:
I have Windows but have Ink turned off as I am not artistic enough to use pressure sensitivity. However it is worth looking at the Windows pen settings to see these help:

Under Windows start menu type pen

Select change your pen settings

Turn off both "Show Visual Effects" and "Show Cursor"

Does this help in anyway?

For the lag issue try turning off Flicks:

Select Pen and Touch

Select Flicks Tab

Uncheck "use flicks to perform common actions quickly and easily"

This should keep pen pressure and help reduce the lag

Last edited by a moderator:
I already had Flicks turned off, and that didn't help. Turning off Show Visual Effects and Show Cursor also did not help.

I have to agree with Hoggy. This is a very frustrating problem. It must also be a vexing problem to solve, because I've seen entries in various online forums, complaining about this sort of pen problem, that date back a couple of years. You'd think that Wacom tablet users would have raised a stink about this and that Wacom would have made it a priority to fix, yet, the issue persists and, when I spoke to Wacom technical support, the technician seemed to be only generally familiar with the issue.

I have Windows but have Ink turned off as I am not artistic enough to use pressure sensitivity.

I don't consider myself artistic enough either, but I'm not going to be able to learn how to if I can't use the pressure sensitivity. Plus it was one of the minor reasons I chose the Intuos Pro small over cheaper options - more sensitivity levels. ... And the regular Photoshop is still too much of a beast for me to be able to do anything productive with it yet. :) However, it should be noted that Photoshop used to have this issue too, but doesn't any more. So there may still be a shred of hope - but I'm certainly not holding my breath anymore.

Also of note, is that this affects ALL user input that requires any threshold of movement from the pen.. Filmstrip & panel scrollbar sliders, crop tool, grad, radial, etc. It even affects plugin input from the pen, and selecting text in rename dialogs and whatnot. So it's definitely something wrong with the basic pen input method in the entirety of LR. I wasn't sure which was the suspect, Wacom or LR - but given that PS got fixed, I'm leaning towards it being a LR problem at the moment.

However it is worth looking at the Windows pen settings to see these help:

Select change your pen settings

Turn off both "Show Visual Effects" and "Show Cursor"

Does this help in anyway?

For the lag issue try turning off Flicks:

Select Pen and Touch

Select Flicks Tab

Uncheck "use flicks to perform common actions quickly and easily"

This should keep pen pressure and help reduce the lag

Here, I've tried everything I've read about it - including un&re-install of both LR and Wacom software. But not even a reduction - just nothing. I have to choose between movement threshold responsiveness, or pen pressure sensitivity. ... sucks

Last edited:
I have exactly the same problem as described by Arnie. Looking back, I think it may have appeared / reappeared with Win 10 Anniversary Update.

Here's the odd bit - the problem disappears if I connect the tablet by cable instead of wirelessly. I thought maybe it was a problem with my wireless/tablet - but now I'm not so sure. Maybe a note to Wacom support is in order.

Dave

I told Wacom support that the rollback to driver 6.3.15-3 didn't work and that the then current driver (6.3.19-3) didn't work. I was asked to try the new 6.3.20-3 driver just released, and, if that didn't work, rollback to the 6.3.18-3 driver. Neither driver affected the problem. So, I've now tried four drivers to no avail. I'd like to see Wacom get serious about this problem, perhaps collaborating with Microsoft to figure out a solution.

In response to davidedric's post, I have only used my tablet in wired configuration.

Arnie

I got so fed up with driver problems on Windows with Wacom that I stopped using my Wacom Intuos. For such an extensively used piece of kit I expected that the drivers would have decent quality control. I purchased a gaming mouse (Logitech G500), which does not replace the functionality of the Wacom but gives me incredible accuracy when using the mouse, plus a bunch of extra buttons I could configure for frequent coomands.

Strange. I use an old graphite 3, using old drivers in compatibility mode and the only problem I have is that sometimes the driver does not load at startup so I have no cursor. Off course you'll want everything to work, but how important is pressure levels in LR. The only control in LR that uses pressure is the flow of the brush.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I tried for a full 3 months to adopt the Wacom Intuos for use with Lr and PS on Windows. Frustration with drivers / poor support and probably the nature of my workflow made it real easy for me to abandon the Wacom. Finding such a positive experience then with a gaming mouse sealed Wacoms fate for me, at least for the foreseeable future. I accept totally that others experiences will differ.

I still use my old Intuos 3 in both PS and LR for the brushes, but still have to use my mouse for moving sliders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back