• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Using a preset on import.

Status
Not open for further replies.

raybark

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Haven't much experience of using a preset at the import stage but tried it today and I can't see the effect after import. The sliders are still at zero in the Develop module. Is that normal? Perhaps someone can point me to a tutorial on this.

What does this preset do?

I don't know 'punch' and 'sharpen scenic'. They sound like presets you've bought, but it should be possible to use those. Presets are just saved slider settings. When you apply your preset manually, does it show what you expect it to show?

Neither of those presets do much that is noticeable. However if you go into develop mode and look in the history the first entry should be "Import/Any preset that was applied". Try doing a test with a more obvious preset such as one of the black and white ones.

I don't know 'punch' and 'sharpen scenic'. They sound like presets you've bought, but it should be possible to use those. Presets are just saved slider settings. When you apply your preset manually, does it show what you expect it to show?
'Punch' and 'Sharpen-Scenic' are under 'Lightroom General Presets'. My new 'User Preset' didn't work when applied manually so have deleted it. Must have made a mistake when creating it.

Neither of those presets do much that is noticeable. However if you go into develop mode and look in the history the first entry should be "Import/Any preset that was applied". Try doing a test with a more obvious preset such as one of the black and white ones.
The initial use of 'Punch' and 'Sharpen - Scenic' is usually enough for my purposes but I do sometimes increase the effect using the sliders. Will try a test, as you suggest, soon.

As a more general comment, be aware that presets applied on import default to the next import as well, so as you start doing this you must stay aware of which were applied, and check it each time if you need to change. I apply a very general preset that gives me a starting point of settings I like, so I can always apply it. Even then once in a while I import something already processed enough (e.g. a page from a newspaper), and have to go and UN-apply my preset because I forget.

Another alternative if you like different settings on different shoots is, instead of applying it on import, just select all images in the grid display after import, and apply it there. Not suggesting that's better generally, just an alternative to it defaulting.

Another good thing to apply on import are metadata presets that might contain copyright or creator information you want to always include.

As a more general comment, be aware that presets applied on import default to the next import as well, so as you start doing this you must stay aware of which were applied, and check it each time if you need to change. I apply a very general preset that gives me a starting point of settings I like, so I can always apply it. Even then once in a while I import something already processed enough (e.g. a page from a newspaper), and have to go and UN-apply my preset because I forget.

Another alternative if you like different settings on different shoots is, instead of applying it on import, just select all images in the grid display after import, and apply it there. Not suggesting that's better generally, just an alternative to it defaulting.

Another good thing to apply on import are metadata presets that might contain copyright or creator information you want to always include.
Good advice thanks. Will use the grid display method in future.

Good advice thanks. Will use the grid display method in future.
Note if it starts building previews before you apply the preset, you can just click on the "X" to kill it, then build them manually once you apply the preset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back