1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

USB Issues

Discussion in 'Equipment & Services Talk' started by Gordo, Apr 21, 2017 at 2:40 PM.

1. Gordo

Gordo New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Good Morning Everyone.

I am using LR4. I use 2 external backup drives. Connection through laptop USB port.
    Problem is when I start up laptop the USB drives do not start up/power light not on. Sometimes only one powers on. If I remove the USB cord from laptop and plug it back in both EHD power up.
    After they are on, occasionally one will power down.
    Before powering down laptop and backing up I have to remember to check to see if EHD's are powered. If not disconnect USB cord and reinsert it.

Any help on this one will be appreciated>

Gordon

2. Jimmsp

Jimmsp Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    We will need a bit more info.
    At first glace at what you wrote, I think that you have both drives plugged into a USB extender which is then plugged into the USB port. Correct? Is this a powered extender?

What are the external drives? Are they portable? or do they have their own power supply?
    When one powers down, it sounds like it is going into a power saver mode.

What does Windows file explorer show? Is the drive still hooked up?

3. Gordo

Gordo New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)

4. Jimmsp

Jimmsp Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    First note - if the drives are showing up in Win File Explorer, don't simply unplug the usb cable. They need to be cleanly ejected from the computer by the OS.

It may be that you are not getting enough power to the extender some of the time. I have had issues like this with portable drives. Do you only have one usb connector on the pc?
    You may need to get a powered extendor if you want to use both drives at the same time.

And do you have photos on both drives that are in the LR catalog? It sounds like no; that only one drive has photos in the catalog.

Try this - only plug one drive that the LR catalog knows about (ie, has photos on it that are in the catalog) directly into the USB port. Work with this for a while and see if any problems develop.

5. Gordo

Gordo New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    4.x
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I understand. I'll look into a powered extender. My 2 drives serve 2 purposes - one is used to back up original photos and the 2nd is used to backup LR changes.
    That works for me.

Again thanks.