Two finger trackpad scrolling issue on Surface pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazspy

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hello. I am having a strange issue. 2 finger scrolling in the grid library module is very slow. It is better when there are less photos in the folder that is scrolled.
This is not a graphics slow down. It is the equivalent of a mouse wheel scroll being set to 1 line per clock rather than 3 etc. But these settings in windows have no effect on the track pad behaviour.

I am using light room 6.x
Surface pro 4 with type cover.

Anyone else suffering this issue?

Welcome to the forum. Is it only LR or are there other apps that experience this phenomena? Are you using the touchpad or scrolling using the touch screen? Does it make a difference if you use the touch screen vs the touch pad?

Hi and thanks for the welcome.
This issue has only appeared in LR, specifically the grid view in library.
It is fine when scrolling touching the screen, it is just the 2 finger track pad gesture that behaves oddly.
If I have less rows of photos populating the grid view the effect is minimised. More rows (as in hundreds of photos) means that aggressively flicking the scrolling (on track pad) results in barely any scrolling and the images in view barely budge.
I can somewhat accelerate the scrolling by repetitive flicking (the Facebook on android etc.)

I hope that clarifies?

Hi and thanks for the welcome.
This issue has only appeared in LR, specifically the grid view in library.
It is fine when scrolling touching the screen, it is just the 2 finger track pad gesture that behaves oddly.
If I have less rows of photos populating the grid view the effect is minimised. More rows (as in hundreds of photos) means that aggressively flicking the scrolling (on track pad) results in barely any scrolling and the images in view barely budge.
I can somewhat accelerate the scrolling by repetitive flicking (think Facebook on android etc.)

I hope that clarifies?

Update..

I have just found that if I hover the mouse curser over the scroll bar, then the 2 finger swipe scrolling works as expected.

[the issue appears to be when the curser is within the grid area whilst swipe/scrolling.

not that anyone cares apart from me it seems.....? ha

Sorry daz, I don't have a Windows box to test that on!

Sorry daz, I don't have a Windows box to test that on!
I think it takes more than a Windows box to test this. You need Windows10 running on a touch screen and a touchpad.
There is a programming concept with mouse controls called "hasFocus" meaning the mouse and the keyboard operate only on that portion of the window that has the focus. This is why you can't add metadata in the metadata panel fields if the Grid view is the part of the screen that has focus. By placing the mouse cursor over the scrollbar, you give the scroll bar focus. and then the touch pad can operate on the scrollbar scrolling. I also think the scroll bars are auto hidden until the mouse bumps that edge of the screen to reveal them.

This may be what is going on with the SurfacePro4. There are Windows settings in your mouse/touch pad preferences that control the behavior of the touch pad. You might experiment with these to see if the behavior is more to your liking with different settings.

Hello. I am using Lightroom 6 on the Surface Book and am experiencing the exact same issue.

Also, if I close the panels on the side (left, right or both) then 2 finger scrolling in the grid does not work at all, and causes the filmstrip at the bottom to scroll instead.

Hi,

Did you manage to solve this? I am experiencing exactly the same issue on a new Dell XPS 15 running Windows 10 when using the touchpad. It worked perfectly fine on Mac OS. Both Lightroom versions are 5.7.1.

Markus

Do those with the problem also happen to have a Wacom tablet?
If so, there may be settings in the Wacom preferences that could be affecting it, for whatever strange reason. (Well, not strange if it's affecting Wacom gestures - but strange if it's affecting non-Wacom gestures.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back