1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Travelling using LR mobile

Discussion in 'Lightroom CC for iOS, Android and Web' started by rweather, Jan 7, 2017.

1. rweather

rweather New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have a CC subscription and have my main storage of photos at home on my computer. I am presently travelling in Latin America and I transfer photos I take on my camera to my ipad. I used to upload the unedited photos to Dropbox then download them to my computer when I got home. Now that I have Lightroom on my home computer and the mobile version on my ipad, I import the photos into Lightroom Mobile where I do some editing. I intend to let them sync to my desktop version of Lightroom and then move the photos to an appropriate folder on my hard drive. I have noticed that these synced photos seem slightly smaller in size (less megabites) than the originals. Do I lose any significant quality from the photos? Is this a good workflow system?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi rweather, welcome to the forum! Sorry for the delay replying. If they're syncing through Lightroom mobile, it's uploading the full raw file. Are you shooting raw or JPEG? I'm wondering if there's a slight difference in metadata, but I'll have to go back and check when I know which file format to test.

3. rweather

rweather New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I am shooting in JPEG as I use the Soney Cybershot which is small enough to carry on my belt.

4. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hmmmm, I've just checked some JPEGs uploaded by LRM and by Dropbox and the size is identical. I'd be happy to test one of your files uploaded to Dropbox, and try transferring it through LRM to see if I can reproduce a size difference that way.

5. rweather

rweather New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I can certainly send you a photo. However if you just tested the transfer through both LRM and Dropbox and found the files to be the same, maybe the difference was just a function of how Dropbox reported the file size and how my Apple computer at home reported it. My main concern was to make sure that I would not lose any quality if I transfer my photos to my computer through LRM. The workflow is camera to ipad camera roll, then imported to LRM, then synced to Lightroom on my home computer where it is saved to the hard drive.

6. Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Ah yes, could be. Compare them when they're both back on your Mac.