• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Suggestion to merge panoramas of DEVELOPED images

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjalex

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Dear friends,
another panorama question, if I may.

When I merged 3 shots into a panorama, the geometry and stitching is great but the resulting image showed a markedly visibile colour change within the three.

Upon inspection I noticed the Temp and Tint of thoese 3 RAW shots was set at different levels and so I made them the same and slightly correct the exposure amongst them to have a uniform base.

When I launched the merge on the 3 corrected images I still get the original behaviour.

What is the easiest and highest quality way of merging the CORRECTED shots ?

Thank you

Lightroom ignores the develop settings when stitching a panorama. For raw files that makes sense, because then you can develop the panorama itself as if it was a raw file. If you shot jpegs, you may want to adjust them before stitching. However, because Lightroom ignores that, you will have to export these first and then stitch the exported copies.

Thank you Johan.
All my shots are RAW but once they've been stitched together I end up with one composite image each sector of which has a different colour temperature corresponding to the original setting.

One thing LR doesn't ignore is dust spots, so try to resolve these before merging. If you work in AutoSync mode, you can fix dust spots in the sky very efficiently. So always correct dust spots before merging - unless you enjoy fixing the same spot every time it appears in the merged file!

John

True, but remember one thing: dust spot corrections are hard wired into the panorama. They can't be undone. The dust spot locations of the first images are used for all images. That means that in another image, the dust spot may be right in the branches of a tree and the correction may not come out well. But because of the hard wiring, you can't change that anymore.

Thank you Johan.
All my shots are RAW but once they've been stitched together I end up with one composite image each sector of which has a different colour temperature corresponding to the original setting.

That is not how it's supposed to be. Are you still using Lightroom 6.5? If so, update to 6.12.1. Perhaps this is a bug and got fixed in some update.

True, but remember one thing: dust spot corrections are hard wired into the panorama. They can't be undone. The dust spot locations of the first images are used for all images. That means that in another image, the dust spot may be right in the branches of a tree and the correction may not come out well. But because of the hard wiring, you can't change that anymore.

Yes, you do have to review healing before starting the merge. That review is quick compared with the time spent repeatedly healing spots after merging. So always fix dust spots before merging.

Yes, you do have to review healing before starting the merge. That review is quick compared with the time spent repeatedly healing spots after merging. So always fix dust spots before merging.

Agree. The best way to do it is to spot heal the first image, synchronise and look at the results in the other images. Just realise that if you do find a problem, it doesn't help if you remove or correct the spot healing in that image. You have to remove it in the first image, or correct it and then start the merge with this particular image as the most selected one. If you find a problem with more than one image, the only way to solve it is not to heal these particular spots.

That is not how it's supposed to be. Are you still using Lightroom 6.5? If so, update to 6.12.1. Perhaps this is a bug and got fixed in some update.

This is what I see on my Mac when I hit the Help->System Info button

Lightroom version: CC 2015.5 [ 1067055 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.12 [5]

OK, so you have Lightroom CC2015.5. That is an old version. Lightroom is at CC2015.12.1 right now. Maybe you should also update your personal info here, because that says you have the perpetual version, not the CC subscription.

You may want to disable auto white balance on your camera as well as make sure that exposure settings are fully manual...
Nothing more irritating than having to mess around trying to match white balance and exposure before trying to merge a panorama.
This is especially so if one is shooting in low light.

OK, so you have Lightroom CC2015.5. That is an old version. Lightroom is at CC2015.12.1 right now. Maybe you should also update your personal info here, because that says you have the perpetual version, not the CC subscription.

Actually, LR is at 2015.12 - it's only PS that got the camera raw x.12.1 update.

I had to make sure and check though.. I'm desperately hoping 2015.12.1 will fix the problem with All the AMD drivers I've tried for my integrated HD6620. I had to revert back to 2015.10 in order to keep using the GPU acceleration. :( (I had kept wondering why things were so slow all of a sudden, until I finally saw that known problem with x.10.1 & x.12.)

Last edited:
You may want to disable auto white balance on your camera as well as make sure that exposure settings are fully manual...
Nothing more irritating than having to mess around trying to match white balance and exposure before trying to merge a panorama.
This is especially so if one is shooting in low light.

If you shoot in raw (and the poster does) and you use Lightroom to stitch the panoranas, then matching the white bakance should not do anything because white balance settings are ignored. Obviously it doesn't hurt (and setting exposure to manual is definitely a good idea), but this whole discussion is about the fact that the white balance setting of the individual images is not carried over.

WB settings aren't ignored. Panorama Merge applies the WB values from the most-selected photo.

WB settings aren't ignored. Panorama Merge applies the WB values from the most-selected photo.

What I meant is that it doesn't matter whether or not you've set the WB to a fixed value for all images, for exactly that reason. Lightroom takes the WB from the first selected image in the same way it takes the WB for a raw image. The point is: the WB settings of the other images are irrelevant and do not influence the result of the merge.

Thank you Johan.

Try exporting the developed images as TIFFs, then re-import them back into LR as new images and merge those. Does that do what you want?

Thank you all.
To clear up some confusion: I do shoot only RAW and in Manual setting (I'm old enough to just like it this way ;-)).

It's not clear to me as to why the 3 shots when loaded in LR have such different light temperature values.

Of course if I set the 3 values to the same AND export in TIFF and then reimport them, the problem would go away, but it's a cumbersome process.

If it could be useful I could post and make available the 3 RAW files on Dropbox.

Take care

That would probably be a good idea, Bob.

FWIW even the 2015.12 update has the same (wrong) behaviour.
The TIFF export method of course worked well albeit being cumbersome.

Thank you all.

PS If anyone would care understanding why this happens I could make the 3 RAW (Sony ARW) files available for analysis and test.

PS If anyone would care understanding why this happens I could make the 3 RAW (Sony ARW) files available for analysis and test.

As Jim posted, you might want to do this.. I think you've gotten others curious, too.
Even I'm kinda curious myself, now. :)

It will be interesting because raw's are supposed to be scene-referred color, as are both of the LR-merge DNG outputs - so white balance shouldn't even be entering into it. o_O Perhaps you've even found a bug..??

Last edited:
Hi sorry for the delay. For some reason I've deleted the RAW after exporting the TIFFs. As soon as I get some time to go to the camera and find and reimport the originals I'll be happy to upload.
Thanks you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back