• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

'Show Import dialog'-doesn't show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digital Finger

Veni, Vidi, Snappi
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
when I insert a memory card the import dialogue doesn't show automatically-whereas it used to
Only thing that has changed is the camera (5DsR)

Screen Shot 2017-06-25 at 12.13.14.png

This is not an uncommon problem for Mac users. Sometimes it works for me. Most of the time it doesn't. I no longer have expectations that it will open when I insert a camera card.

Insert the card
Launch Image Capture (via Spotlight Search)
Click on the card
In the lower-left, expand the error and verify the pulldown is set to No Application

Insert the card
Click on the card
In the lower-left, expand the error and verify the pulldown is set to No Application

That should only stop Image Capture from launching when you insert a card. And when the card is formatted in the camera, you'd have to do it again. If you want Lightroom to launch when a card is inserted, you should set Lightroom here as the application. But again, that will work till you format the card, because then MacOS considers it as a new card... There is a way to disable auto launch completely for any card, and quite frankly I think that is your best option...

Johan
I have never had an instance of a card launching Image Capture because I've reformatted it, via Internal or External ( USB2 & 3 readers).
In any case, I was asking the user to 'verify' settings - not prescribing a final course of action.

Johan
I have never had an instance of a card launching Image Capture because I've reformatted it, via Internal or External ( USB2 & 3 readers).
In any case, I was asking the user to 'verify' settings - not prescribing a final course of action.

Actually, it's not Image Capture that is launched, it's Apple Photos. My mistake. Image Capture is where you can change this, oddly enough (it would make much more sense if you could set this in the System Preferences).

Insert the card
Click on the card
Each of my camera cards is set to "No Application" in Image capture. The Photos app is disabled and does not run as a background task or on start up when I boot up MacOS. If I insert a camera card into the card reader, LR does not start up if it is not running. If it is running, nothing happens in LR. The Import process does not start. If I start it manually, the import process sees my camera card and I can import normally.
If in Image capture, I specify the LR application when the camera card is inserted, it always reverts to "No Application" the next time I open Image Capture. IOW. Image capture does not want to set a default application.

Here on my test box, Cletus:

I set Image Capture to launch Lightroom 6.x on card reader detect.
I set Lightroom 6.x to launch import if memory card is detected.

If I do not have Lightroom open and insert a memory card, Lightroom opens.
if I have Lightroom open and insert a memory card, the Import dialog launches.

OSX 10.12.5

The Image Capture setting is persistent across system restarts.

Here on my test box, Cletus:

I set Image Capture to launch Lightroom 6.x on card reader detect.
I set Lightroom 6.x to launch import if memory card is detected.

If I do not have Lightroom open and insert a memory card, Lightroom opens.
if I have Lightroom open and insert a memory card, the Import dialog launches.

OSX 10.12.5

The Image Capture setting is persistent across system restarts.
I'm also running MacOS 10.12.5. The only difference that I see is that I have removed the Photos app from my Login Items as a Start up task. Could you post a screen shot of your Login Items so that I can add the Photos app and anything else back in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back