"Shift capture time" changes metadata or LR catalog data?

Status
Not open for further replies.

process

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Now and then I need to shift the dates of some photos because I forget to change a camera's date/time (i.e. daylight savings). I know about the "Shift capture time" feature in LR which comes in handy, but does it only change the date/time internally (i.e. within the LR catalog), or does it actually affect the files themselves?

I'm asking because I like to organize things in such a way that I'm not toally reliant on LR, and want my photos to have the corrected dates show up in other apps too. I might need to mess around with EXIFtool or something if LR only changes things internally.

Catalog Settings>Metadata tab>Check the box at the bottom ("Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files").

Note this setting (obviously) only applies to raw files, but also note that it has to be used in conjunction with the option to write metadata changes into XMP (either automatically by the checkbox on the same Metadata tab of the Catalog Settings, or manually via the Ctrl/Cmd+S command). For non-proprietary raw files, saving the metadata changes into XMP should suffice to update the date/time after changing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back