Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce J

Photographer
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
OK, I'm stumped now. I'm using a LR hard drive publish service to create a folder of jpegs on my hard drive. Because I want the images to remain in the custom order that I've established in the publish collection, I'm trying to rename the output files using a sequence number as the beginning of the output file name. Should be simple, but it doesn't work. No matter what rename template I use (whether built-in or one that I create), I only get files with the original filename. And, of course, when viewed in Win, they are not in the desired order. I am also using Mogrify 2, ver. 4.47 to process the images before they are written, if that makes a difference. Running LR 2015.10 on Win7. Anyone else had trouble with this, or have any hints? Thanks,

To be honest, I've never used a file rename with a sequence number in a publishing service, but I would expect it not to work. The difference between a normal export and a publishing service is that a publishing service is a dynamic process, not a one time action like exporting. Files in a publishing service get republished when they change, other files may be added later or get removed. That would make it virtually impossible to use a logical sequence.

Thanks Johan. I understand what you are saying, and I don't expect the publish service to keep track of the sequence number. I'm perfectly happy to delete all existing output and re-publish everything when I add to the collection (it's a static collection). I just tried the rename with a collection using jfcollection publisher plug-in and it works fine. But, that publisher doesn't use Mogrify, which is why I thought that might have something to do with it. It seems odd to me that LR includes the rename options in their publisher services if they aren't supposed to work. It would be really helpful to me if someone else could test it so that I would know if it's just my setup or the way it's supposed to work. Cheers,

I think you've found a bug in the standard Hard Drive publish service, as I have tested it and rename doesn't work (even when not invoking Mogrify).

Update - I just tried it with a different hard drive publish service that does not use Mogrify and it does rename the files using a sequence number as expected. So, now I think that it's something in the LR/Mogrify combination that's not passing the new file names along. Bummer. I would still appreciate it if someone else could confirm the problem. Thanks,

I think you've found a bug in the standard Hard Drive publish service, as I have tested it and rename doesn't work (even when not invoking Mogrify).

Thanks Jim. Don't you hate it when two experimenters get different results (see my previous post)? Don't know what the difference is except possibly Win vs. Mac. Ugh!

OK, I'll check on Windows later.

Interesting! Test on Windows 10 was fine, rename worked. Back on OSX I setup a new HD Publish Service and this time the rename worked. Checked back with the original Publish Service (which was a pre-existing service from years ago) and still the rename failed....but there's no apparent significant difference between the old and the new, so go figure!

Bottom line, it looks like Mogrify is indeed your issue...but I also note you're still using 4.47, whereas the latest version is 4.48? Might be worth updating and checking again.

Thanks Jim for spending the time to do the testing. Strange, indeed. I agree that the next stop is probably a Mogrify update, but I have little hope that it will help. It's never good to be working in a little-used corner of the envelope. In any case, I'll be out of town for a few days, so won't get to this until I return. Will update this thread with what I find at that time. Oh, and just to add more confusion, the Publish service that I tested that worked without Mogrify has been in use for many LR versions. I just added a new collection to the existing service for testing purposes. Go figure. Also, I mis-spoke earlier, I'm on LR 2015.9, not 10. Cheers,

I have been experimenting with HD Publish Service as well and I have the same problem.
Not invoking Mogrify and running Windows 10.
I have a Published Collection Set including 3 Published Smart Collections

upload_2017-8-13_9-45-46.png

First I published with a size on long egde of 1024 pixels and name portfolio001.jpg - works fine

Then I try to republish with new settings 300 pixels and new name portfolio_thumbs001.jag - resizing works fine but the name is still kept as portfolio001 - not portfolio_thumb001.

I have also tried to remove the old HD Publish Services and create new ones - didn't work

Also running Lightroom as an administrator(if possible authority issues of renaming) - didn't work

Guess this should be added to Adobes bug list?

Thommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back