• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Publish Services problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjlad

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi there and Season's Greetings.
I'm trying to create a Publish Services for albums
I went to Publish Services
I clicked the plus sign
I typed the name of the service I wanted "Album Production"

At that point I already had a smart collection containing all the photos I wanted to put in this particular Publish Service folder so within "Album Production" I created a Published Smart folder "Peru & Panama 2016" with a couple of simple criteria. As I did that all the photos in that smart collection seemed to make their way into "Peru & Panama 2016". At that point I hadn't exported them yet.

The problem is that the the whole thing "Album Production" and its sub service "Peru & Panama 2016" ended up located in a folder from earlier in the year that had nothing to do with what I was working on. During the process I didn't see any dialog that would enable me to select the folder I wanted "Album Production Set" to be in.

What step have I missed?

Not expecting a response Christmas day ...enjoy your dinner! Hoping someone might see this and respond sometime this week.

Thanks in advance!

There are several different Publish Services, most geared toward Social Websites. There is one called "Hard Drive" that is aimed at creating image files locally in folders similarly to the Export function of that same type. You create new "Hard Drive" Publish Services for each Publish Services that is NOT a subfolder of any of the other root "Hard Drive" Publish Services folders.
Right click on any existing "Hard Drive" Publish Service and choose "Create another Hard Drive Publish Service" In the settings window that opens, choose a new root folder different from the other "Hard Drive" Publish Service.

There are several different Publish Services, most geared toward Social Websites. There is one called "Hard Drive" that is aimed at creating image files locally in folders similarly to the Export function of that same type. You create new "Hard Drive" Publish Services for each Publish Services that is NOT a subfolder of any of the other root "Hard Drive" Publish Services folders.
Right click on any existing "Hard Drive" Publish Service and choose "Create another Hard Drive Publish Service" In the settings window that opens, choose a new root folder different from the other "Hard Drive" Publish Service.

Thanks Cletus.
For some reason I'm not seeing that option. Attaching what I'm seeing
Publish Serv 02.jpg
Publish Serv 01.jpg

Thanks Cletus! That worked. I obviously have to be less drop down dependent. I deleted what I had and started over.
Not sure if it's just me but when I look at the displayed folder structure it seems counter intuitive:

Publish Serv 03.jpg

What I had hoped to do was have a folder called "Album Production" on my C drive ...and in that folder have any albums I wanted to be able to "publish" ...more like this: (couldn't replicate those arrows)

Hard Drive : Album Production
<---> Joanne&Bruce 2016 422
<---> Peru&Panama 2016 286
<---> PoloTourney 201607 611

etc, etc
Is there some way to structure it like that for the sake of my conventionally wired mind?

Thanks,
Jay

Sure. Create the folder "Album Production" then create a new HD PublishService for each sub folder
HardDiskPublish.png

The Result looks something like this in the Publish Service panel:
HDPublishServices.png

Hmm ...sort of getting that but now that example doesn't show the holding folder "Album Production" and the names appear both beside "Hard Drive:" and as the publish service names ...now looking like the Department of Redundancy Department.

So if I had another main folder called "Magazine Production" and in it wanted services for specific magazines etc. so the overall intent would be:

Hard Drive : Album Production
<---> Joanne&Bruce 2016 422
<---> Peru&Panama 2016 286
<---> PoloTourney 201607 611

Hard Drive : Magazine Production
<---> Polo Antarctica 2016 422
<---> Canadian Cliff Jumpers 2016 140
<---> Canadian 99's 2016 74

but the name "Magazine Production" probably wouldn't show up either. Looks like instead ...I'd end up with a bunch of redundant listings.

To me what I 'expected' is a logical file and naming convention. What LR is offering seems really counter-intuitive.

I guess Lightroom is just wired the way it is and I'll have to learn to live with it. Not the end of the world. :)

Thanks for your help Cletus

Hi Jay,

There are a couple of more powerful publish services from Jeffery Friedlt that might fit your needs.

Jeffrey's "Collection Publisher" Lightroom Plugin will mirror the selected collections onto a specific location of your hard drive.

Jeffrey's "Folder Publisher" Lightroom Plugin will mirror the Lightroom folder structure of the selected images to another location on your hard drive.

Fully functional plug-ins are currently available for a donation of your choice, as little as $0.01, although this may change as he recently had to move to a new web hosting provider that is now charging for traffic.

-louie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back