1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

PSB file format support in Lightroom?

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by Ad Astra, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have been playing with exposure blending in Photoshop, three raw files with different exposures linked in Photoshop back to the raw files, luminosity masks to blend the layers. All was looking really cool until time to save the file when I hit the PSD file size limit. Easy enough I thought save as PSB.

And then the dark clouds appeared, I cannot sync the PSB file into my Lightroom Catalogue. Lightroom does see the changes made to the raw files in Photoshop but is missing the PSB file.

Can Lightroom import PSB files? All I need is to be able to see the file and select "edit in Photoshop".

2. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    No, it can't. Maybe the TIF size limit is bigger than the PSD limit, so save as TIF instead?

3. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Just tried saving as TIF; unfortunately this has the same 4GB file size limit as PSD.

4. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Then I think there's a problem.

One way around it (which I follow) is to save a small version of the file, import that version into Lr, then go back to Explorer and replace it with the real file.

5. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    For a test I just tried converting to 8 bit which shrank the file size a lot to less than 2GB. After saving this small PSB file Lightroom could still not import it so it must be the file type Lightroom does not like rather than the size of the file. Think I am stuck until Adobe add support for PSB into Lightroom.

6. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Sorry, I didn't describe what I do properly. A PSB cannot be imported, so I save a smaller TIF (actually a TIF showing the letters PSB), import that, delete it in Explorer, then change the PSB's name and extension to the same as the TIF.

7. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Capture.JPG

Thanks John, did I understand correctly after deleting the small Tif that I need to rename the file type of the original PSB to Tif? (see attached) If so this fails for me in Lightroom when I right click and select edit in Photoshop I get an error in Photoshop: "Could not complete your request because it is not the right kind of document".

8. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    That is to be expected. You may be able to trick Lightroom into thinking it's a tiff file (because Lightroom only reads the built-in preview?), but it is not a tiff. So if you open it again in Photoshop, Photoshop expects to get a tiff but doesn't.

9. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    But at least on my Mac, double clicking the file in Finder opens the file in Photoshop.

10. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    A no go on Windows 10, clicking the renamed file in File Explorer gives the same error message. Was worth a try, many times Windows refuses to play a movie file, renaming it to .mp4 is often enough to get Windows to play it.

I think I will save the blend as a PSB file, flatten it then save as a PSD with the base layer name "blend from PSB". That way I know there is a master PSB file around with all the heavy lifting of the blending in it.

If you have the same issue maybe worth posting a reply or adding a like to this thread. If enough people have the issue maybe Adobe will prioritise adding this as a feature to Lightroom.

Lightroom: Support cataloging PSB files (files larger than 2 GB PSDs and 4 GB TIFFs) | Photoshop Family Customer Community

11. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    That surprises me. I'll try it when I'm back at my PC.

12. LouieSherwin

LouieSherwin Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks for the link I have added my support although I don't expect much. Adobe's priorities seem to be quite opaque, there are many well supported feature requests that continue to languish.

If you haven't looked at it yet you might want to try John R. Ellis's Any File Lightroom Plugin plug-in as a workaround. For myself I have always used TIFF format since it is more widely supported than Adobe's PSD and PSB and I have never had a problem doing any of the basic layering including using Smart Objects that I occasionally need to do.

Recently while participating in a workshop for nighttime astrophotography this file size issue came up when assembling star trail shots from 20 or more images. The workshop leader, Michael Frye, explained that for years when in Photoshop he has simply use 8 bit files and that in extensive testing over the years he cannot tell the difference between 8 bit and 16 bit files when looking at his final prints. While this advice goes against every fiber of my techno bit grubbing beliefs I have to concede that if a meticulous printer as Michael is cant tell the difference then maybe I should stop worrying as well.

-louie