• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Pinkish lines/blotches on grey/white subjects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shou

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hey, beginner-ish here. Below is an undeveloped photo of a high-contrast subject and background, taken with an admittedly poorer quality lens. It has unnaturally shaped/layered pink vertical shadows on the subject. There is also chromatic aberration galore, which I have played around with defringing with no luck. Can this disappointment be saved at all? Thanks y'all
DSC_4023_zpshnvewzmo.jpg

Ps. what even is the subject of the photo? I really do not know.

Shou, Welcome to the Lightroom forum. Can you tell us if the file is JEPG or RAW this will make a difference as to whether you can recover the colours, exposure and CA. Although poor lens performance is not much that can be done!

Indian Pipe is the subject. Monotropa uniflora - Wikipedia
The Pinkish color may be the result of improper White Balance. Did you take this shot as a RAW file (where you can correct the WB) or as a JPEG where the WB was fixed in the camera?

I looked up the Indian pipe plant and the pink colouration may actually be natural. My other question is, how can I correct CA without ending up with greyish, noticable squares?

Here is a magnified view of one of the halos from CA. I realize that this image isn't quality at 100%, but I want to know how to work with this for the future.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    375.1 KB · Views: 348
In the lens correction panel, click the manual tab, here you will see the definge adjustments, you can use the eye dropper tool to select the CA and reduce the amount. Your CA colour is grey which is unusual, so I am not sure what is causing the fringing?

I've noticed that those halos can sometimes come from the automatic CA removal. It's not often, but sometimes it can happen in my experience. A solution to try would be turning off automatic CA and instead use the manual tab to try and adjust it. You may not be able to fully correct those areas, but at least you can try mitigating the effects of both CA/fringe and the removal of it -- sort of a balancing act as to how it will be perceived at normal viewing scales.

Another thing I've read about is that these areas can occur due to how the bayer pattern is interpolated along high-contrast edges.. Which, ever since I've read about it, is something I now notice myself.

I know it's really hard but another thing to try, in combination with above, is not pixel-peeping too much. :) Much easier said than done, though. Once you you notice it, it's hard to impossible to 'un-notice' it. But at normal viewing scales, most viewers (or even ourselves) will not notice such areas.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your advice. I think I have managed to fix the grey halo that was caused by from clicking remove CA then defringing green. I just did not click "remove CA" this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back