1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Photoshop Action to expand or collapse a layer group?

Discussion in 'Photoshop for Lightroom Users' started by Ad Astra, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have hunted high and low with my fav search engine and failed to find a solution to a Photoshop problem.

I am recording an action, it creates a layer group with several layers in it. When playing back the action the layer group is collapsed.

My action then steps backwards two layers, the trouble is I need to step back two layers in the collapsed group, what happens when I replay is the action skips over the collapsed group and selects layers below.

Is there a way in a Photoshop action to collapse and expand a layer group?

Clicking the expand triangle whilst recording an action has no effect, the clicking the > icon is not recorded.

Hoping somebody knows how to expand a group in a Photoshop action.

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    In principle you can solve this by choosing 'Add Menu Item' from the action menu, which gives you the option to manually add a menu that isn't recorded. Strangely enough however, there is a 'Collapse All Groups' menu in the Layers panel, but I don't see an 'Expand All Groups' menu...

3. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
  4. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks Johan and Victoria for the input. I will add a vote to the feature request. Does seem a bit odd that you cannot do this on a per group basis and expand all groups is missing in Photoshop.

I found if you select layers and create group from selected layers in an action the group is always collapsed and you cannot then use alt [ or alt ] to move up and down the layers in the group, it jumps to layers outside the group. (I am after creating a group with several different black and white conversions and turning all but the first one off, easy if I could go down the layer stack with alt [ )

If you create a group first and then add adjustment layers the layers are added to the group and not collapsed. Problem is now if you use short cut alt . to go to the top layer hoping to add an adjustment layer above the group, it doesn't it gets added back underneath into the group.

I found a way round it was to use the second method above, use the option key to add a new blank layer above the group, add my adjustment layer, then alt [ to go down a layer and delete the blank layer. Bit of a faff but it worked for my use.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017