PC Rebuild - LR and PS - Advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unklejon

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
In the light of recent upsets by Adobe, I decided to go for a legit copy of PS CS6. Looking at the sad state of my PC build I was thinking of - starting all over and rebuilding from the floor up so rather than go at it like a blind bull at a gate for once I thought I might pick the brains of you gurus out there - if I might be so bold. so your thoughts welcome ....

1. Is it worth re-installing LR4 or waiting for LR5 (if I can afford it post CS6)
  2. If I don't reinstall LR4 will LR5 accept my old LR4 catalogues?
  3. Is there an ideal load sequence e.g. PS > LR > Topaz > On One etc.
  4. Anyone any experience of running LR and / or PS of anything other than the primary drive?
  5. anyone have - or know location of - a (real) idiots guide to de-installing / reinstalling LR to avoid the pain.

I'm one who has a lot of opinions, but who doesn't really know a lot. As far as your questions are concerned:
1. Lightroom 4 is an official release suitable for doing "official" work. I think it's worth it to install it if you already own it and have the serial number. If you don't, then I would suggest experimenting with the Lightroom 5 beta. It has been very stable on my computer.
2. Historically, new released versions of Lightroom have converted older catalogs. I have seen nothing to indicate that things will be different this time. The beta will not convert catalogs, but that was by design.
3. I loaded Photoshop first, then Lightroom. Didn't have any problems. I don't use any plugins.
4. This is one that I have no experience with. But my instincts would be to put it on the primary drive in the default location because that is the way the program is designed. I don't know what the implications are of installing Lightroom on a different drive. And I don't know how that impacts updates as they come along. Those who know will probably be able to tell you the answer to that one.
5. I consider myself kind of a computer idiot. I bought a new computer a few months back. Before I switched to the new computer I put all of my images and folders that were in Lightroom under one main parent folder. I copied that folder and the catalog and the previews to an external drive. Then I did my program installations on the new computer, copied my catalog and files onto the computer. The pictures were on a drive with a different letter designation than they were on the old computer. So I had to right click on the top folder and choose find missing folder. I located the folder on the new drive, everything synchronized painlessly, and I just went to work as though nothing had happened. I was expecting a lot of trouble (a lot of trouble) and I didn't have any trouble at all.

Hi Unkeljon.

The very best answer that I know of to question #5 is to be found in Victoria Brampton's FAQ book.
A must have to truly get to grips with Lightroom.
Especially well covered is updating/reinstalling/porting Lightroom.
Victoria all the way!

Tony Jay

Thanks Tony. I do have Victoria's book and will undoubtedly get her new book. Alas besides her book I also have bad dyslexia - hence request for "real idiots" guide :wub:.

Whilst I can read "prose" slowly I struggle to draw meaning from things written in this way - very hard to explain that bit - suffice it to say I was hoping someone knew of a tick list / bullet point guide. The sort of:

1) Do XXX
2) Back up YYY

Victoria has been a god send in the past with helping me - but I imagine she is very busy fielding the upset from last weeks announcements re CC and writing the Missing FAQ LR5. Alas all the emails she sent me in the past got lost in a PC crash so am having to start out again... and I don't really want to bother her again. I have made full back ups of my primary and secondary [photos] drives which I can detach from the PC during the rebuild so cannot accidently over write them... Usually when things go wrong everybody tells you what you should have done . I kind of wanted to pre-empt that and reduce the stress

Murphy's law states that if anything can go wrong it will go wrong at the worst possible time and in the worst possible way.
Unklejon's law of computer upgrades states Murphy's Law was Over Optimistic.... :grin:

NB not insinuating Dyslexics are all idiots - just this one

Last edited:
Victoria has been a god send in the past with helping me - but I imagine she is very busy fielding the upset from last weeks announcements re CC and writing the Missing FAQ LR5. Alas all the emails she sent me in the past got lost in a PC crash so am having to start out again...

You're very sweet John (and thanks Tony!). Yeah, bit swamped right now, but always happy to help where I can. All our old email conversations are available in the Members Area - if you can't remember your password, let me know and I'll reset it. Just click on View Tickets on the menubar and then press the green View Resolved Tickets button to see all the old emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back