1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

??on exporting to a subfolder

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by ernie, Dec 3, 2014.

1. ernie

ernie Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Lightroom Version:
    OK, I've been trying to do something I thought I knew how, but it didn't work as planned. I have edited a folder of raw and tiff pics. I wanted to export tham all as jpg to a subfolder within the original folder, but I don't want jpgs in the original folder-only the subfolder. LR doesn't seem to want me to do that. I have tried various combinations of exporting and checking the boxes for add to subfolder and add to catalog. None seem to work just like I want.
    What I have at this point is a subfolder with all the jpgs in it, BUT, all the jpgs are ALSO in the main folder too. I don't need them there, only the subfolder. If I use remove(only, without deleting from disc) on those jpgs in the main folder, LR removes them from the subfolder too. AAARRGG!!
    What should I have done from the start, OR, what can I do now to end up with a main folder with my raws,etc. and a subfolder with my jpgs? And I want them to be that way on the hard drive also, if that matters. Thanks.

2. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You might be tripping up over the "Show Photos in Subfolders" option. If you have it checked (as I think you have) and you click on the folder containing the original files, then that option means that the photos in any subfolders are also shown....giving the appearance of the images in the sub-folders being in the parent folder. If you then select the images in that mode and delete them (because you think you're deleting them from the original parent folder), they are in fact deleted from the sub-folder....because that's the only place they exist. Try unchecking that option (Library menu), then run the export again to put the exports in the sub-folder and see if that makes a difference.

Let me know if I'm way off base and we'll think some more.

3. ernie

ernie Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Lightroom Version:
    YEESSS!!!! That was it. I just unchecked it and voila, no jpgs in original folder. Thanks so much Jim.

4. John Haley

John Haley New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    My question is close to the one solved here. (Sorry, can't see how to post a Q, this seems to be a place for a reply but . . .) I like LR for developing but just cannot seem to master it's strong point - managing/organizing, or really anything outside of the develop module. Like print, even. (Colors off) So I export everything to another program I'm comfortable with (ACDSee). I usually load photos (from cards, etc.) into that and then import to LR from there, develop, then export to a subfolder. It's cumbersome and the pics are all on the computer twice but it works for me. Sort of.

Lately, trying to use LR more, I've been importing directly from cards to LR. And having trouble. I just developed and exported to subfolder and I have two of everything in one folder (a DNG/DSC and a jpeg), no subfolder was created. I went back to my export screen and the subfolder box was checked and labelled "LR." Since I am viewing the photos from ACDSee a "Show Photos in Subfolders" selection in LR should have no effect. Regardless, I did uncheck it, to no effect.

If someone can understand my problem, I would much appreciate some help.

5. frozenframe

frozenframe Ron

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Welcome to the forums John,

First to post a new thread there's a button located in the upper-right. Click on images to enlarge
    LR Forums-New Post button.jpg

I'm not familiar with ACDSee, but did watch their tour video. It seems to be very similar to LR. I'm not sure if it uses a catalog like LR, or just the folder structure on your system. With your workflow description it seems like you're going to a lot more work than needed. Do you use ACDSee for managing your images?

My first question is why are you using LR to develop your images and not ACDSee, which seems to be able to edit or develop much the same as LR?

Next you do understand images imported into LR are not actually inside of LR. They are where you copied them to on your system. Importing into LR only tells LR's catalog where those images are located. The images are then added to LR's catalog to be managed. There's no way to use the other modules, or any functions inside of LR without first adding them to LR's DAM catalog.

Exporting from LR, creates new files, derivatives. If you notice LR's menus, there is no Save or Save-as commands. So you must create a new file. How did you export?. Did you go to the File menu and choose Export? In my example, the Export to, lets you specify where on your system, AND if you choose a subfolder, you provide a name for that, and it should be created at the end of the path, shown directly above it.
    LR Forums-Export Dialog.jpg
    I'm not sure how you wound up with 2 of everything. The Do not show folders in subfolders applies only within LR. It allows you to specify if you want LR to show files in all subfolders below a parent when you select the parent. With that option checked, you will need to select the subfolder to see the images.

6. John Haley

John Haley New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks, Ron!

"Do you use ACDSee for managing your images?" Yes. Unless I've been mucking about with LR, trying to use it, I can always find my way around there. It uses the conventional file tree like every other program (except LR, it seems!)

I use LR to develolp because I am under the distinct impression that it is more capable. I just recently updated ACDSee, only because it started crashing, and I can see that the present version is apparently more capable that the older ones. I haven't really tried using the updated version for developing. But LR is the accepted standard, or so I take it.

I do realize the images "in" LR are not, that all that is "in" LR is a set of corrections to make, and that the corrected image is only displayed in LR (unless it is exported). Incidentally, I'm finding now that some images altered in LR and exported to ACDSee do not look like they do in LR. A substantial shadow "increase" in LR is barely different from the original in ACDSee.

"LRs DAM Catalog." Agreed, though I'm reading that differently than you intend.

You point out the lack of a "save" function in LR. I'm "over that" in LR, but it remains a huge stumbling block in Photoshop - off topic, sorry, never mind.

I Exported (as I always do) just as your screenshot shows. The peculiar result I complained of certaainly argues for a mistake on my part - failure to check the "put in subfolder" box or name it. That would explain everything. But I was positive, plus I immediately went back and called up the Export dialog and found the box checked and "LR" in the name box.

It usually works. The difference this time - all I can think of - is that I used LR to import the pics into the computer from the card. I usually use ACDSee. It's a mystery.

I've managed to get two of everything before. I don't know how. This time it would seem explainable by the import of RAW files and the subsequent export of jpegs of those same files (mysteriously) to the same folder. That leaves as the only question, why they went to that folder rather than the specified subfolder.

A further illustration of why I manage outside of LR - I wanted to share about 25 pics. Thought to use Google Drive. Found an app for that, not sure I want to add the unknown app. Can't see how to do it from LR, and though I did see some mind-numbingly complicated procedures to do that, I also saw a comment that using LR to feed google drive would only send originals, without LR corrections.

The WEB module is impenetrable. Export seems strictly local and Upload wants "FTP settings" (?) which, if I google and find out what they are, I must google again because I can't see where to input them.