Status
Not open for further replies.

fabthi

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hello everybody
please take first a look at the attached screenshot, it shows a collection in Grid View where only some of the pictures are selected for Export.

What I'd like to understand is if there's a way to customize the File Naming in the Export settings to reflect the photo numeration of the collection: so in this case I would have selected images which would result exported with the following numbers: 2-3-9-10-11-12
Is this possible and, in case, how???
Thanks to all for your help!
Fabio

When you create an export derivative file, they are new files and are only incidentally related to the original image files. The sequence number on export is a function of the file naming template selected and there is no way to skip numbers in a sequence in an unpredictable way.
If you only want to export the 2-3-9-10-11-12 images in a group, there is no way to create a file name on export using the file naming template.
You can, however, rename all of the original images in the group in LR and then only export the 2-3-9-10-11-12 images using the original image renamed file name.

Hello everybody
please take first a look at the attached screenshot, it shows a collection in Grid View where only some of the pictures are selected for Export.

What I'd like to understand is if there's a way to customize the File Naming in the Export settings to reflect the photo numeration of the collection: so in this case I would have selected images which would result exported with the following numbers: 2-3-9-10-11-12
Is this possible and, in case, how???
Thanks to all for your help!
Fabio
For small scale exports, I export all the files and delete the ones I don't want, thus ending up with the numbering I was after. I find doing this quicker and easier than thinking about more complex file naming alternatives.
HTHs

For small scale exports, I export all the files and delete the ones I don't want
HTHs
Thanks for your help; yes, that's what I also do as an alternative.
But with collections of several hundreds images from which to pick the ones to keep and those to discard, it can be a time consuming task, let alone the risk to mess up pictures.
I always found LR is a bit (lot?) poor on features on this side; submitting a collection to a client from which he will have to make a selection it's quite a typical action in a workflow. But if you can't then produce random files that maintain their progressive numeration within the collection, the only solution is some sort of DIY methods.

Last edited:
I think the part of my reply that you missed is this:
there is no way to skip numbers in a sequence in an unpredictable way.
If it can't be predicted, then LR can't possibly be expected to create a naming sequence that is predictable.

If it can't be predicted, then LR ............
Hi Cletus
thanks for your help!
I did see your reply but I don't understand your point.
I'm not a digital expert but I believe it shouldn't be impossible to add to File Naming settings an option, among others already available, in "Rename to", like, say, "Use/maintain collection number".

While the collection position (number) is an attribute that LR generates for the Collection, it is a transitory value that is only generated for the screen display and not something that can be passed to a LR file naming template. You can submit a feature request, but I don't think there are a significant number of people that would support adding this feature.

Thanks for your help; yes, that's what I also do as an alternative.
But with collections of several hundreds images from which to pick the ones to keep and those to discard, it can be a time consuming task, let alone the risk to mess up pictures.
I always found LR is a bit (lot?) poor on features on this side; submitting a collection to a client from which he will have to make a selection it's quite a typical action in a workflow. But if you can't then produce random files that maintain their progressive numeration within the collection, the only solution is some sort of DIY methods.

I'm not sure that you are approaching this problem in the right way. LR is not psychic (alas!) and the order in a collection is not particularly meaningful outside LR, so what exactly are you trying to do? I'm thinking there might be other ways to achieve what you are after? I always include the original file name in my exports, so I can find them again. For me, the rough date on the raw is enough to get away with the four digit number. If it were not (and it isn't in another world I occupy), I rename the files before I import them, I use a six digit number appended to the original file name, that will see me through 999,999 files. My catalogue isn't that big yet! When I do reach 1,000,000 files, I will simply add another digit. It will be good enough, as they will be sufficiently unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back