• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

No DNG validation on DNG's made bij Lighroom mobile IOS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I never have taken my mobile phone photo's very seriously so i did not manage them.
Recently i decided to go experimenting and installed Lighroom on my iphone. The pictures i took with it are synchronized with my desktop as expected but none of these DNG's can be validated by Lightroom (deskop). I made one JPG and made a DNG of that. That one is ignored completely by the DNG validation proces.

Does someone know what's going on here?
DNG_validatie1.jpg

I'm a little confused by that last sentence. If LR made the jpg->DNG conversion, it really should contain a DNG hash.. So I don't know why it wouldn't.

As far as the others, I haven't heard of any cameras that records DNG natively to make any DNG hashes, unfortunately. And if during import, you select 'copy as DNG', it still wont add the hash. It used to do so before LR 6 - it did a 2nd 'conversion' (and with my settings, also liberated the useless JPG from them). With LR 6, I need to make sure to do a 2nd DNG 'conversion' on those native DNG's after import in order to get that hash into them (and the JPG out).

Last edited:
I'm a little confused by that last sentence. If LR made the jpg->DNG conversion, it really should contain a DNG hash.. So I don't know why it wouldn't.
Some time ago i made DNG of all my legacy JPG's (from a camera, not phone) and they are being validated just right.

As far as the others, I haven't heard of any cameras that records DNG natively to make any DNG hashes, unfortunately.
I made these photo's with Lightroom mobile. I don't think this phone is recording DNG natively.

And if during import, you select 'copy as DNG', it still wont add the hash
I don't believe this is entirely true because i'm doing this standard with my photo camera files. They are beiing validated just right.

So just to clarify, what's the original file format! And when is the conversion to DNG happening? Using which program?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did the same with my legacy jpgs. I misread that last sentence, then. :)

I don't know much about iphones or LR-mobile, as I don't use either. Is it possible that if taking pics within the LR-mobile app, it's saving them as dng? Someone that uses either might have to comment on that. (If I'm not mistaken, I think some newer iphones can save as dng.)

About the part regarding 'copy as dng', I'm only referring to if the photos being imported are already dng. At least that's the way it behaves with both models of my Pentax dng's. Of course it's possible that you have camera that actually is recording the hash in native dng.. It would be nice to hear of some finally starting to do it.

Last edited:
So just to clarify, what's the original file format! And when is the conversion to DNG happening? Using which program?
The files that are causing me problems are the one made on my iphone 6. I made these pictures with the Lightroom app and they came in on my Lightroom Desktop as DNG's.

I was really hoping someone that uses those would comment. In a cursory search, I saw things about the iphone 6 using the LR-mobile app, saving and transferring as DNG. Whether its always raw, or sometimes linear, I don't know...

And as you're saying they came in that way on the desktop, it sounds as if the situation is the same as if importing native dng.

In any case, to remedy the situation, just do a 2nd 'convert to DNG' using the menu item in Library. It won't actually do anything to the image data.. But it will get that important hash in there.

... It makes it a PITA to have to do yet another step non-automatically. In my case I need to do that for native raw, and also do a rename AFTER importing in order to preserve the original camera filename. So, *2* manual steps for me after import from my Pentax's. So much for LR streamlining things.. :-/ Not to mention catalog backup zipping no longer being allowed to be done in the background while working, with a plugin I have - in LR 6. :mad:

Last edited:
And as you're saying they came in that way on the desktop, it sounds as if the situation is the same as if importing native dng.
Yes, it looks that way.

If it's indeed the case that Lighroom mobile generates DNG's without an hash than a solution could be that Adobe add this... Does this sound like an valid feature request?

Yes, it looks that way.

If it's indeed the case that Lighroom mobile generates DNG's without an hash than a solution could be that Adobe add this... Does this sound like an valid feature request?

It would certainly be, to me.. Except maybe wording it something like: "Add DNG hash to all imported DNG's, if one doesn't already exist in the file." That way it could also cover non-LR-Mobile importing/syncing -- and apply to DNG's in general.

If you make one, post the link link here. I'd vote on it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back