1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

New Camera photos will not upload

Discussion in 'Managing your Photos & Video' started by grdnangl313, Jun 17, 2017.

1. grdnangl313

grdnangl313 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I just bought a new camera and the photos I took on it will not upload into lightroom 5. I have a Mac and the "Photos" app opened up and I can see the photos are in there, but I have never uploaded my photos into that I only upload them into LR. I did end up uploading them into it, but I still have to figure out why I am not able to upload them into LR.

The message that shows up on the photos in LR is preview unavailable for this file. The name of the photos show up, but no preview.

Do I need to do anything because I am trying to upload for the first time to a card from my new camera?

2. marcb

marcb Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I suspect your new camera isn't supported by LR5. LR5 uses Camera Raw 8.7 to read your raw files; check Cameras supported by Camera Raw to see which version of Camera Raw you need.

3. grdnangl313

grdnangl313 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Great my new Nikon D500 is Not on the list. So what do I have to do now?

4. marcb

marcb Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    It is, actually ;):

D500 NEF 9.5 6.5

So you can either upgrade to LR6, or download the stand-alone raw converter from Adobe Digital Negative Converter 9.x (but then you'll have to convert the NEF files from your D500 to DNG first before importing them in LR).

5. grdnangl313

grdnangl313 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Great that's what I was afraid of. I really don't like the way Adobe makes you pay the yearly fee (is it like $100) to upgrade, so maybe I will try that Converter thing. More things to worry about. Thanks marcb.

6. grdnangl313

grdnangl313 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I downloaded the converter and it does work! Yay! I can use my new camera this morning on my photo club's photography walk! Thank you so much!!! You're awesome!!

7. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You do not need to buy a subscription ($10USD/mo-$120/yr) You can still purchase an upgrade to LR6 perpetual license (standalone) for a one time upgrade fee of $79USD.
    It is a misconception to many that LR is only available as a subscription. A perpetual license may not remain an availability forever, but you can still purchase LR6 this way today.

8. grdnangl313

grdnangl313 New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.10.x Yosemite
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I didnt know that - thanks so much! Do I go to Adobe's site and download it there? What happens to my LR photos, so they automatically upgrade or do you have to re-import the library back into LR6?

How do I find out if the D500 is compatible with LR6 version?

9. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    As marcb has indicated, the minimum version of LR is indicated in the link Cameras supported by Camera Raw
    When you upgrade from LR5 to LR6, the first time you open the catalog file in LR6, LR6 will ask to convert the LR5 database structure to the LR6 database structure. When you let it do this, the LR5 data will be translated into LR6 data and a new catalog file will then hold the contents of the old catalog. You do not and should not re-import.
    Adobe is not so straight forward on providing an upgrade link to the Perpetual license You can find it at this link: Buy now Be sure and click on the dropDown that says "Full" to choose and get the upgrade price.

10. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    This link wasn't working correctly over the weekend due to the left hand (web team) not knowing what the right hand (LR team) do, but that should be fixed now, so if anyone had trouble... no need for conspiracy theories, just incompetence. :D