Multi users on one catalogue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve21

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi,, new to LR
on a imac, osx sierra , photos on a server with a wired connection. One catalogue with several collections. Is it possible to have two OSX users both with OSX accounts on the same imac access the one catalogue. Currently i have to sign out and sign in to the other user to access the catalogue. If not can we export the catalogue and import to the other user. I have one license for Adobe CC and we both sign into that license. Thanks in advance
Steve

Where is the catalog located? MacOS X has a 'Shared' folder at the same level as the user folders. Stuff in that folder should be accessible for all users.

The LR catalog need to reside locally. It can not reside on a NAS file server. Normally, LR catalog is installed in a users home pictures folder. ( /Users/[UserName]/Pictures/Lightroom/ ) If both users are on the same machine, then it is simply a matter of giving the second user read and write permissions to the first users home folder and files.

The OP is not talking about a network, he's talking about two users on the same Mac. Giving a user read & write access to your home folder is technically possible, but this is what the Shared folder is for.
So am I. The Shared folder is one way, but this involves moving the LR catalog file and Previews. It is perhaps simpler to (as administrator) give the second user read and write access to the first users home folder. The OP will need to decide which solution to commit to.

The OP is not talking about a network, he's talking about two users on the same Mac.
So am I. The Shared folder is one way, but this involves moving the LR catalog file and Previews. It is perhaps simpler to (as administrator) give the second user read and write access to the first users home folder. The OP will need to decide which solution to commit to.

OK, you got me confused because you started by saying "The LR catalog need to reside locally. It can not reside on a NAS file server." The OP never talked about a NAS server, only about a single computer.

Giving a user read and write access to the home folder of another user is more or less like having two people share the same user account. Technically it's possible, but it defies the idea of having multiple users with each their own environment. I agree that the OP needs to decide this, but my advice would be to use the system the way it was designed. Giving each other that access also means that one user can make a mistake that ruins stuff of the other user...

Thanks fellows, indeed the photos are on a Drobo connected to a mac mini server, I only mentioned the wired connection so you would realize the speed is not an issue. I have both users with the shared settings on in system preferences but for some reson while in the second user i still cant see the LR catalogue that has been shared. The reason to do this is the editing task has been re allocated to another employee. Perhpas I could just export the catalogue (135 mg) on to a usb flsh drive and importit to the seon user,, question please once i have it on the, say desktop of the second user how exactly do i get it into light room,, with the import function? Thanks in advance...

I have both users with the shared settings on in system preferences but for some reson while in the second user i still cant see the LR catalogue that has been shared.

I don't think that you are using the correct procedure. There is nothing to 'share in the system preferences'. That is for network access. What you need to do is place the Lightroom catalog folder in a location that both users have access to. The standard location is the 'Shared' folder at the same level as the users home folders.

Thanks for that,, Remember osx sierra,,, there is a public folder in the home folder but that didnt work,, the shared is just for other computers, not different users on the same imac. Where exactly is the shared folder at the level you are refering to,,, thanks very much again

Double click the hard disk icon on your desktop. In the window that comes up you should see four folders: 'Applications', 'Library', 'System' and 'Users'. Double click the 'Users' folder. Now you should see the Home folders of all the users, and a folder called 'Shared'. That is the one.

Ok, thanks very simple, FYI in my finder preferences I didn't have the HD to show so I was going thru the home folder,,, Also FYI a call to apple support to ask the whereabouts of a shared folder produced no results..go figure,, Sometimes the simplest things are the hardest, now the easy part...tagging in excess of 10,000 photos,, thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back