• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Moving files

Status
Not open for further replies.

David PZ

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
5.x
Operating System:

Lightroom Version:
(Please go to Help menu > System Info to double check the exact version number)

Question or Description of Problem: Ran into this problem and need your help: I shot images on my iPhone with bursts, forgot to clean up the files, so all images got imported into LR. To correct the problem, I delete all the images from LR, choosing Remove, which I think was my mistake because I should have deleted them from hard disk. I cleaned up the bursts in my phone, trying to import back only the chosen best images back into LR, titling them the same way. When I tried to move them into the same picture file, I got the warning that moving files on disk would cause the corresponding files on disk to be moved. When I clicked Move anyway, I was notified of an error copying files to the destination and was shown the list of files with the original names I was trying to move already existing at the destination. I believe to find and delete these files on the hard disk would correct the problem, but I don't have the confidence to proceed on my own. Any help would be greatly appreciated. (I have LR 5.7.)

If you came here before you tried to fix your mistake, it would be an easy solution. The images "Removed" from Lightroom still exist in the folders where they were first cataloged by LR. The correct solution would be to sync those folders. This would Identify the images that were removed instead of deleted. Importing using that sync function would generate a special collection called "Previous Import". Once imported (again), these images can be deleted AS A Group from the LR catalog AND the filesystem.
Now if you attempt to move the files and the move failed completely, it was because the image copies were still in the folder where they were originally cataloged. Then follow my instructions above to sync this folders

Thanks Cletus. Can you give me a little more detail on how to import using the sync function to generate the "Previous import" collection? What do I do first? I still don't know what the sync function is yet.

I got it done, Cletus, by right clicking on the folder and synchronize folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back