1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile only workflow

Discussion in 'Lightroom 1-6 for Windows & Mac (perpetual)' started by Jonathan Walters, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Jonathan Walters

Jonathan Walters New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Now that LR mobile and iPad can accept RAW I have the workflow as follows:

Camera --> camera connector --> import to photos on iPad --> import into LR mobile --> delete from photos on iPad

I have creative cloud subscription so the photos are all synced from LR mobile to the cloud.

But... question is where do my originals reside and what, if any restrictions or implications am I likely to come across?

I do still have a Mac but looking to reduce my dependency and possibly remove altogether.

Thx

2. Jonathan Walters

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Additionally, or alternatively, are there any solutions similar the WD Mypassport that allow you to add all photos from the SD card and automatically sync to the LR cloud?

3. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    CC Cloud
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The workflow's good Jonathan. Once the photos are in LRM, you can safely remove them from the Photos app. The originals get synced to LR's cloud, and then down to a desktop LR catalog. Since Adobe are not (currently) advertising the cloud storage as backup, I'd continue letting them download to a desktop catalog (e.g. a local hard drive) just so you know you have them safe. I think I'd still want a local copy.

4. Jonathan Walters

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks Victoria, makes sense about needing a backup.