Not open for further replies.

Sean McCormack

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
lrbp.jpg

Since I introduced the plugin HSWeb, I've been thinking about a far more customisable and cleaner version of a 'Website in a Gallery' Web plugin. I've literally spent almost all my spare time rewriting this from the ground up since then. In fact all the code has been completely replaced the with new Lightroom 2.' SDK code and so is brand new. Even the Contact Form has been updated to give much prettier returns.

lrb_sm.jpg

lrb_sm2.jpg

LRB Porfolio features.

• [li]A true Website in a Gallery[/li]
    [li]Lightroom 2 compatible-Not for Lightroom 1[/li]
    [li]Wesbite featuring a Home, About and Contact pages, along with up to 6 galleries or external links.[/li]
    [li]A PHP contact form to make you contactable, but keeping your email address hidden.[/li]
    [li]For those without PHP, a series of contact details that you can pick and choose between, including Contact Name, Email, email link, phone number, address etc.[/li]
    [li]Choose the images for the Home, About and Contact page yourself.[/li]
    [li]Colour controls for each section of the page.[/li]
    [li]Simple clean look, with scrolling galleries, a popular look currently.[/li]
    [li]All HTML and CSS, so compatible for a wide range of users.[/li]
    [li]Full User Guide (that took a bit of time!)[/li]
    [li]Controls for menu and Identity Plate placement (left, centre, right)[/li]
    [li]Full Lightroom 2 SDK code, including new Output Sharpening code.[/li]
    [li]Requires only minor HTML for line breaks, otherwise code free for the User[/li]
    [li]Requires no HTML editor[/li]
    [li]Optional Right Click and Drag Disable[/li]
There's a wealth of stuff changed from the original proof of concept code I had with HS Web. Again, as with LRB Graduated Filters, I've put a lot of work into this and approached it as a commercial venture. I am aware though that the appeal of such a gallery is relatively limited. Most people already have a website, so something that creates an entire site is less of an appeal that a simple gallery to show off. However for those looking for something quick and easy, this gallery allows you create a whole website with a little advance preparation and some text entry. To add your email address, you edit one file in an text editor once, and then export and upload.

The cost of the plugin? €1' (about $15). VAT chargable in the EU. Updates will be free to current users. (please note this is the old introductory price from 2''8-price is now €15)

To see a sample gallery, download the User Guide to review the controls, or make a purchase, please go to http://lrbportfolio.com
Support questions can be added to this thread.

Last edited:
LRB Portfolio: Website in a Gallery for Lightroom 2

Thanks to Sean, and everyone else who check my Safari problem. I am away from home right now, and my external drive with some of the photos. When I get back I will redo the site with the disable button off. Looking forward to the next version. Linda

I really like the new LRB Portfolio. With some customization, it will likely become the driver for the front of my website.

One issue I'm having is the amount of text I can enter in the About Text and Site Text boxes. I'm not looking to put small novels in those areas, but just a small amount of text results in a pop-up saying that there is too much, and it gets truncated. I even tried copying the text from the About Me page on the LRB Portfolio sample site, and that is too much and is truncated.

I've resorted to modifying the about.html file, and putting my text directly in there. This obviously isn't ideal, but it's the only way the text will be retained when I update the page.

This is on WinXP, in case that makes a difference.

This has been written about numerous times already on my blog and in help posts.
The issue is f:labeled_text_input replaces WPGPanelUI.TextInput in the SDK. It's great for shorter code, but as I found out after release, is hard coded to clip at 15' characters. 1.'1 which is the dot release in the hands of testers has reverted back to the older code with 32'' characters. I'm not getting as much feedback as quick as I like from beta versions (bar one or two testers, who have been great), so it means all I can do is wait.

Galleries from Sets?

Hellow Sean,

I like your layout very much.

I wonder if it is possible to create subgalleries from the Set/Collections of LR 2.'?
I have to do a presentation on Canada and have to devide all pics into Provinces (12 of them anyway). I have all my images nicely sorted in a Set in sub collections - can your plugin work with that?
Thanks
R

LRB Portfolio has been updated to 1.'1, fixing a width issue with the menu under IE, and changing the right click code to be compatible with WebKit based browsers like Safari and Chrome.
Additions include longer text fields for Home and About, a HTML Metadata Keywords box, Remove home page link, and a slider to set the distance from the top of the broswer. To avoid confusion with those seeing errors with not enough images selected, the Home, About and Contact pages show image 1. You will see the error on gallery pages with not enough images selected. I've added titles to each section for clarity.

Known Issues. On Mac, entering a number directly in the Image Per Gallery silder box doesn't force an update. Click on the slider to force the update. Using the Slider, or hovering over the number and dragging work as normal. I'm in touch with Adobe engineers to see why this code isn't working as normal.

To update, simply use the link you received on purchase to download the new version. Most of you have only one or 2 downloads, so you still have plenty left. Reply with the download link email if you run into trouble.

Adding bits and pieces

First, thanks for the 1.1 update. Really appreciate it! Now my questions -

1. Is there a way to export one or two photos to replace existing photos in my web galleries? Once I have exported to my hard drive, I know how to add only what I want to my existing web pages, but it would be nice if I did not have to do a complete export just to get one photo or bit of code. Am I being clear on what I want to do? Is it possible?

2. Just to be sure I understand - I am I correct in that you can not add more than six galleries? Is it possible for me to go into the exported code to add more galleries?

Thanks, Linda

1. only by manually exporting, then FTPing the HTML files into the folder, and the images into bin/images/photos. Lightroom offers no way of checking for changes and only updating the changes.

2. Going into the code means changing a minimum of 9 files, and then however many extra gallery pages. How many do you need? It's probably easier to modify the code I just thought 6 was a reasonable number.

Six is a reasonable number. My problem is I want to have a few links as well. We travel a lot, so I keep a travel blog as well as my photo blog. Right now only the photo blog is linked and then I have five galleries. At the moment I think I would like two more galleries available (8 total), one for another link and one for a favorites/current gallery of photos. If you decide to add more galleries, I would recommend 1', which would allow for growth. Again, in my case most would be for additional links. Thanks so much for being so responsive! Linda

Contact Form

Sean -

One more problem. I want to include a contact form on my website. I tried it with version 1, including make the required change in the package contents. After I uploaded the pages to my server (which does have PHP support), if you try to send a form, this message appears: Can't send email to [email protected]. In this case, the listed email address is one of mine that was entered in the YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS box. So for now I opted not to use the form. Then I tried a test site with the form. I uploaded the test, with the same results, when I remembered that I am now using version 1.'1, and has not made the changes to it. So again I went to the application, and opened the package (I use OS X 1'.5). Double click on mail.html and the following code is listed. As you can see, there is no place to enter my email address. Please advise if I am doing something wrong. Thanks.

Back"; } elseif ($subject == "") { echo "
Your mail has no subject. Please press Back and try again!

"; echo "Back"; } elseif ($from == "") { echo "
You've not entered a name. Can you press back and enter it please!

"; echo "Back"; } elseif (mail($recipient,$subject,$message,$replyto)) { echo "
Thank you for sending email

"; echo "Back"; } else { echo "
Can't send email to $email

"; } ?>

This is the middle section of mail.html inside the package,
You can see the section to change in the /////////// part, after the $recipient=

<div id="about">
<?php

// /////////////////////////
// Change [email protected] to your email address.
// ////////////////
$recipient = '[email protected]';

// Everything below this line is fine.

$email = $_POST['email'];
$subject = $_POST['subject'];
$from = $_POST['from'];

$replyto = 'Reply-To: '.$email;

Linda, on the links front, would 2 external links suffice? As it stands the Site Info menu is ridiculously full! Roll on custom panels.
(I mean in addition to the 6 galleries)

Sean - I made a reply before, but for some reason it did not post. In reference to the links, two links in addition to the six galleries would be terrific! As for my other problem - I enter the correct email address to mail.html in my html editor, reopened LR, and exported a test gallery site. (www.digitalquinn.com/test) One the CONTACT page, when you enter information in the text boxes and then click SEND, this message appears:
"Can't send email to&#823';" - with the email address that was entered in the YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS box appearing after the word to.

Can you tell if the problem with what I am doing, my server, or what? Thanks much, Linda

I'll check out the php status on the server. I use GoDaddy, and I successfully created a form for a client's site on GoDaddy, but I haven't used it before on my site. Thanks. I'll let you know. Linda

Sean - It turns out that my GoDaddy account was Windows based, which does not support PHP. I just initiated a switch to their LINUX based server, which does support PHP. However, the support email I received from GoDaddy included the following:

Also, in order to be able to send email through our hosting accounts that we offer you must use the following relay server in your code:

relay-hosting.secureserver.net

You do not need to provide a user name and password for this relay server as it does not require authentication.

Is this code that I can add? Thanks for all your help, Linda

I've had a peek on google and found this:

http://help.godaddy.com/article/951

"If you use the mail() function in your PHP, you do not need to specify an outgoing mail server. If you are using some other method besides mail() in your PHP code, use relay-hosting.secureserver.net for your relay server."

You're using mail there, so on the surface, it looks like it should just work.

no images

Hi Sean

firstly, thank you for creating such a simple way to set up great looking web portfolios. It's just what I've been looking for.

I've now created my site, using filler images to cope with the different number of shots in each gallery, previewed it all in browser and it looks just as I want it to.

I then exported it to a folder on my hard drive. Went into that folder and uploaded all the files there to the root directory of my web site. Now when I look at it on line the pages are all there but there are no images. I've checked and they have all been uploaded in the folders as they were set in the export but they don't seem to be displayed. I'm sure I've commited a fairly simple error but I can't for the life of me figure out what it is. Any ideas?

thanks

Domhnall

Did you retain the folder hierarchy from the folder? There should be 3 folders: bin, content and resources. Images are in bin/images/photos

Did you retain the folder hierarchy from the folder? There should be 3 folders: bin, content and resources. Images are in bin/images/photos

Yeah, I just dragged the whole lot over to my web space using ftp. When I log in to the server and click on the index.html file, the images display correctly. I'm baffled. Actually now that I look at it, LR hasn't created a resources file, could that be it? I don't think I've selected anythign that would mess with a setting like that.

I deleted it all, recreated and uploaded it again about three times, always with the same result.

It's at www.tayforthphotos.co.uk in case looking at it helps you figure out anything.

Domhnall

Domhnal, Sean is off lone so it may take a while to get a response.;)

that's OK I'm in no rush. I just managed to solve it - well kind of.

I originally uploaded all the files on to my web space - no images.

Now I just uploaded the whole lot into a new folder on the same space, and it works.

So www.tayforthphotos.co.uk shows nothing but www.tayforthphotos.co.uk/landscape shows everything. Bizarre. I huess I can just knock up a welcome page that clicks through to the main home page until I can work out what I've done wrong.

Domhnall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back