• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

LR6.1 Haze Removal Panel missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacZonie

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Hi,

Just updated to 6.1 but there is no Haze Removal slider in the Effects panel. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

The new Dehaze feature is only available to the CC subscription users, so if you're running the perpetual license version then you won't see that slider.

Did you update through the Creative Cloud?
This is a new feature of CC/6, not the perpetual version.

OK, thanks guys. I found the Prolost haze preset that seem to do the job nicely. It's a shame that apparently Adobe won't be adding features to the "perpetual" license. I would never do this with my software product but then that's me.

Adobe has never added new features to Lightroom in "dot" releases, apart from occasionally in the ".1" release, so nothing has changed for perpetual license holders. This is actually an accounting rules issue, as those rules strictly forbid new features to be added except before the end of the accounting period following launch. This time around (presumably because of the perceived delay in the 6.0 release), the accounting period has ended, so even if it had wanted to Adobe could not have included any new features in the 6.1 release.

It was also made very clear that this divergence between perpetual and subscription models would likely continue.

Adobe has never added new features to Lightroom in "dot" releases, apart from occasionally in the ".1" release, so nothing has changed for perpetual license holders. This is actually an accounting rules issue, as those rules strictly forbid new features to be added except before the end of the accounting period following launch. This time around (presumably because of the perceived delay in the 6.0 release), the accounting period has ended, so even if it had wanted to Adobe could not have included any new features in the 6.1 release.

It was also made very clear that this divergence between perpetual and subscription models would likely continue.
It also may very well be that these features will show up in the next paid release (LR7). This was the case with new functionality that was added to ACR 8.x and not added to LR until LR6.

I am a CPA and can't understand where an accounting rule would "forbid" a software company from doing anything with their product that they wanted to do. It could impact when they right off the costs; but that is another issue. I think not giving it to perpetual owners is to provide incentive to purchase LR 7 when released or just buy CC. I am certainly glad that I am a CC user. I am most impressed with the dehazing tool.

I'm not a CPA, so I may have phrased it badly.....but trust me, there are some rules somewhere that govern this issue. I'll try to get you the reference.

Check out the Sarbanes-Oxley act.

I'm not a CPA, so I may have phrased it badly.....but trust me, there are some rules somewhere that govern this issue. I'll try to get you the reference.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]
Don't worry about it Jim. I'm retired and no longer need to know. I'm just glad we got the update. [/FONT]

Subscription is clearly Adobe's preferred licensing model. Therefore, Adobe will, subtly or not, make it increasingly attractive to move to that model. I think that's all you really need to know. Plus, of course, whether Adobe's blandishments are compelling for you.

Dave

Another thing that can lead to the DeHaze slider not appearing is if the image was originally developed with an earlier process version (I didn't discover this myself...I learned it from a Laura Shoe video that briefly described the new features in the LRCC June update...credit where credit is due)

Another thing that can lead to the DeHaze slider not appearing is if the image was originally developed with an earlier process version ...

In fact, the Dehaze control is always there. It is just grayed out an unavailable with previous process version. This is what I saw a few minutes ago with a 2003 Process image.

In fact, the Dehaze control is always there. It is just grayed out an unavailable with previous process version. This is what I saw a few minutes ago with a 2003 Process image.
Correct. I didn't phrase what I meant as precisely as I could have. By "not appearing" I meant "greyed out and unavailable"...but you are right that it would have been better to have phrased it that way to be clearer to folks about what they are seeing. Thanks for the clarification.

By the way, I also recently came across this post http://prolost.com which claims to have a "workaround" that makes the ability to use DeHaze available for LR6.1 (standalone). I do NOT have LR6 (standalone), so I cannot vouch for this approach.

The code is in LR 6.1, just no slider on the UI. You can create and edit some of your own presets that apply the effect. I created presets in increments of 10 from -100 to +100.

See this post.
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55998101

Not to split hairs, but how does this revenue recognition issue that prevents them from including features in "unpaid for releases" distinguish between these two scenarios?
- in the product but not accessible from the UI
- in the product but accessible from the UI

Last edited:
I am a CPA and can't understand where an accounting rule would "forbid" a software company from doing anything with their product that they wanted to do. It could impact when they right off the costs; but that is another issue. I think not giving it to perpetual owners is to provide incentive to purchase LR 7 when released or just buy CC. I am certainly glad that I am a CC user. I am most impressed with the dehazing tool.

As an ACA who has done Sarbanes Oxley compliance consulting, I'd agree with you. "Forbid" and "can't" are the wrong words, though they are far more readily understood by those without professional experience whose eyes quickly glaze over if one tries to express the legal, accounting and organisational issues around revenue recognition procedures. Adobe could release features to perpetual owners if they really wanted to, but it would breach their established revenue recognition procedures. Of course, those could be changed, but as I'm sure you know, that's not something that would be done lightly, even if it's for a revenue stream that's more obviously "material", and from a corporate viewpoint you wouldn't ever want to encourage managers to imagine there's any flexibility in the policy.

John

Not to split hairs, but how does this revenue recognition issue that prevents them from including features in "unpaid for releases" distinguish between these two scenarios?
- in the product but not accessible from the UI
- in the product but accessible from the UI

Impossible to say without knowing the detail of Adobe's internal procedures for compliance with revenue recognition policies.

That said, my guess is that they might draw the line on whether it's explicitly in the UI. If so, it's clearly a feature and falls under revenue recognition rules. If it's not in the UI, Adobe aren't actually supplying anything new - they're just leaving Lr exposed to a pretty-harmless hack.

Last edited:
And later Jim wrote
Check out the Sarbanes-Oxley act.

I am not an accountant either, but my curiosity got piqued, so I couldn't help myself and I tried Googling this. The best article I could come up with is this post from 2013.

My (layman's) reading of the article is this: It is not so much that the "new" (in 2002) law PROHIBITS Adobe from adding new features to products with perpetual licenses, but that the law imposed new requirements on how a company has to record revenue and that in order to add new features to the permanent license versions they would have to change their methods of recording revenue, the implications of which are probably more than we mere (nonaccountant) mortals can possibly know.

No, as someone who is not a layman, I'm getting a little exasperated! That post is simplistic or even misleading. Adobe is not prohibited from adding new features by Sarbanes Oxley - which is as much about establishing procedures for ensuring compliance with existing legal measures and accounting practice. If Adobe wanted to do so, they could. However, SOX and other law makes it difficult, time consuming and extremely expensive to change their financial reporting policies and procedures. Lr is far too small to contemplate deviation from their established procedures. And you really don't want to encourage managers to imagine there could be nuances and workarounds in this area, so one would expect a company like Adobe to give managers clear and simple guidelines for product releases, and it looks like they are well understood.

Last edited:

The new Dehaze feature is only available to the CC subscription users, so if you're running the perpetual license version then you won't see that slider.

I have originally purchased LR6 as stand alone but later signed up for LR CC. I do not have the dehaze function under Effects. I have already uninstalled LR6 and installed it again from CC but no joy. If I check for updates (from Help) I get message that I have the latest version (LR6.1.1), but still no dehaze. I work on Mac with Yosemite latest OS.

Hi Tobieo, welcome to the forum! If you look in Help menu > System Info, does it say Perpetual or Subscription? And are you on a photo that's set to Process Version 2012?

Hi Tobieo, welcome to the forum! If you look in Help menu > System Info, does it say Perpetual or Subscription? And are you on a photo that's set to Process Version 2012?

Thank you Victoria. I once again uninstalled LR6 and re-installed CC and it is now working.

I am a CC user and all up to date. It just disappeared when I restarted it. So.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back