1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Lr Touchbar Support

Discussion in 'Extending Lightroom' started by mcasan, Oct 28, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    As we saw in the yesterday's Apple event launching the new family of MacBooks, the Touchbar is introduced. MacOS supports it and Apple put out updates for it yesterday for Pages, Numbers, and other apps. Adobe demoed their Photoshop support for it and said it would be out by the end of the year. Strangely, no commend about. Lightroom support for it. I think we can safely assume Touchbar will be part of the release of new iMacs early next year. So all of the sets the stage for Lr needing to support Touchbar no later than early 2017 when the new iMacs will be released.

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I would assume that Lightroom gets support too, but because Apple demoed Apple Photos this was not the time or place to say something about it.

3. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Add that touchbar to a new line of wireless keyboards and any iMac running MacOS can play too. I haven't seen enough of the touchbar to see how it might help LR. but I think it will be there Maicrsoft just introduced a new "puck" called SurfaceDial aimed toward creative types using the new 27" Surface Studio. This too needs incorporation into the Adobe family of products.

4. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I've already ordered a new MacBook Pro, so in a few weeks I can tell you what Lightroom does with the Touchbar right now.

5. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    That was what I was hoping to do even with my 2013 rMBP. I should also be able to use the new TB3-TB2 adapter to go from TB2 on my MacBook to the TB3 USB-C port of a LG 5K monitor and drive the monitor at 4K. When I do upgrade to a new rMBP, then I can drive 5K via a TB3 USB-C cable. But not this week. ;)

6. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks that should be interesting to hear. Have fun with the new machine!!!!