LR takes forever to detect my camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dittybows

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi all,
I'm new here and by looking around I wish I had joined sooner. I've already been given some good advice and now I have a problem.

About a week ago I updated to OS 10.12. A few days later I updated to LR CC 2015.10. Since that update LR has been taking an unusually long tine to detect my camera (canon5Ds), as long as 7 to 10 minutes. Once it detects the camera however everything works fine, but I'm concerned about the long wait. Can anyone shed any light on this?
DB

You need to be clear about what process you are using. LR detects the camera in the tethering process. The Import process needs to detect the camera card in a card reader. If your camera is acting as a card reader, LR may not be detecting the connected camera. We need to know more before we can advise.

With my camera (canon EOS D5s) when tethering, a memory card must be in the camera while shooting, if not, when the shutter is pressed no photo is taken and a message flashes in the viewfinder - card...card...card...
I've talked to canon about this -it's the way they do it - memory card in the camera when tethering. So two images are recorded, one on the computer and one on the memory card. If I set the camera for tethering but leave the card out of the camera, it still takes a very long time for LR to detect the camera.

Hi Dittybows, welcome to the forum. Could another app be grabbing the camera's attention initially? The Image Capture app is the one that springs to mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure the card is freshly formatted, and does not contain a pile of images. At least on Windows when the camera is "mouted" as a disk it does some kind of itemization of contents before it releases it to the program. See if it recognizes it faster with a freshly formatted card instead.

I have seen a Canon 6D to take several minutes to be responsive to a photographer because it's card had 1000's of images and the camera was NOT tethered. I assume if it was tethered then their may have been further complications. If you are connecting the camera to the computer to just download images you are far better with a card reader.

Thank you everyone...
I use a freshly formatted card.
I use it to shoot tethered (when LR is working that is).
Haven't looked into Image Capture - never used it - I'll check it tonight.
And...LR has stopped detecting my camera completely. Had a shoot yesterday using cards - no fun.
Thanks again.
DB

Does the Mac see it at all? Maybe you have a more basic failure - USB cable, ports, or some such.

Hi Linwood,
You're right - it's the cable - I think. I had tested the ports, they were all fine, but the cable has a canon connector and I had no way to test it. After your post I purchased a 3' cable - it worked. After testing it a bit, out of curiosity I plugged the 15' cable in, and now it worked. I switched cables a couple times and they both worked. I changed nothing else, nothing in LR or on the camera. I tried both again before posting this, they both still work. I'll shoot with the 15' this week - or the 3' cable if necessary.
Thank you Linwood!
DB

Glad its sorted. For something as ubiquitous as USB, it's amazing how much trouble people have with cables and controllers and ports not working, must not be any real quality standards out there.

Glad its sorted. For something as ubiquitous as USB, it's amazing how much trouble people have with cables and controllers and ports not working, must not be any real quality standards out there.
USB Cables are filled with fine copper wires that can get easily broken if the cable gets crimped. Thin cheap cables are more susceptible than thicker ones. Like most Msgs. Canon probably sources their cables from the lowest bidder. It is not likely that Canon would manufacturer their own USB cables. You get what you pay for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back