1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

LR - Photoshop problem

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by donvt, Jan 9, 2017.

1. donvt

donvt New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.3 / CC 2015.3
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If I send an image to be edited in PS, when I want to save it PS assigns a file name and it is then in the LR catalog. However sometimes PS asks me to name the file and then it is not in the LR catalog and must be imported. I would prefer to make my own image file names but I do not want to have to import them. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    This may not solve the issue, but make sure you are running versions of Lr and Ps which are Raw compatible. Better still, make sure you are using the latest versions.

For example, the latest version of Lr contains the following fixes.

upload_2017-1-9_12-17-38.png

3. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If Photoshop asks you to name a file, it's usually because the file cannot be saved in the present format. For example, you send the file from Lightroom to Photoshop as JPEG (defined in the Lightroom preferences), but you added a layer in Photoshop and JPEG does not support layers.

If you want to save a file from Photoshop with a different name, the easiest method would be to first let Photoshop save it with the default name (so it automatically comes back in Lightroom) and the rename the file in the Lightroom metadata panel.

4. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    My experience using Lr and PS on Windows is that if I try to edit a JPG in Ps (from Lr) and add a layer, PS will default to a Psd file format. If I hit the Save button in PS it then is also added to the Lr catalog.