• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

LR CC and LR5 with 2 different catalogs-HELP please

Status
Not open for further replies.

UKnomad

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi, recently downloaded and started to use LR CC . This has created and is using Lightroom Catalog-2.ircat but my LR 5 catalog is still Lightroom 5 Catalog.ircat.
The 'newer catalog has ALL my pictures whilst the LR 5 stopped updating when LR CC was downloaded.

How do I enable LR5 to use the same LR CC Catalog - Catalog -2 please?

I am mindful that should I stop using LR CC for some (unknown) reason I need to be able to return to using LR 5 having made sure it is kept up to date if that makes sense.

Many thanks!

Lightroom 5 and Lightroom CC cannot share the same catalog. The catalog structure was updated when you opened it in Lightroom CC, that's why a copy was made.

Johan, many thanks.
So.....if I discontinued LR CC the Catalog-2 would remain and I could direct LR 5 to use it?

There would only be one way to go back and at least not lose everything you did in Lightroom CC: In Lightroom CC select all the images you newly imported in Lightroom CC and choose 'Metadata - Save Metadata to Files'. Then start Lightroom 5 with its old catalog and import these images. Because you saved the metadata, Lightroom 5 will automatically pick up those edits that are compatible, and stuff like keywords and ratings. You will lose things like virtual copies, stacks, new collections you created in Lightroom CC, but at least it doesn't mean you have to start from scratch with all these images.

You could, however, purchase the upgrade to Lr6 perpetual and use the same catalog as CC. You would lose the CC specific features like mobile sync and dehaze.

Johan...thanks again - will keep a note of your reply just in case !

Dave - Thank you - where would I find a price for the upgrade to LR 6 perpetual you mentioned?

where would I find a price for the upgrade to LR 6 perpetual you mentioned?
Software & Services
When you get to this page click on the {Buy} button and choose "Upgrade" instead of "Full" to get the upgrade price.

Thanks again Dave - much appreciated!
Software & Services
When you get to this page click on the {Buy} button and choose "Upgrade" instead of "Full" to get the upgrade price.

Thanks Cletus......not the easiest of pages to find but got it now !
All being well I won't stop LR CC - but it was a 'just in case' query prompted by noticing the different catalogs.
Sees daft that the catalog function can't be backwards compatible but such is life !

You could, however, purchase the upgrade to Lr6 perpetual and use the same catalog as CC. You would lose the CC specific features like mobile sync and dehaze.

For clarification:
I know for sure about dehaze, but I'm pretty sure even for the other CC-only features as well.. That the files that already utilize those features will still show them fine in LR6 stand-alone. It's just that you wont be able to create new renderings that use those features - and I'm not sure what would happen if you, say, add some more brush strokes to a filter that utilizes them. I think they've made it that way so someone with CC can show or give files/sidecars to someone else with LR6 - and still be seeing the same thing.

However, as for dehaze, there are presets that can get around that - and a plugin as well, that can give you a slider. And certainly for dehaze, but if one were so inclined to edit the XMP directly, they could probably get the other features to work as well. However, that's a bit beyond my pay grade. :)

Last edited:
That the files that already utilize those features will still show them fine in LR6 stand-alone. It's just that you wont be able to create new renderings that use those features

Yep, you've got it. The UI is hidden for the new features on LR6, but it still understands them.

Exported a few with metadata written to file as suggested by Johan (many thanks once again) and imported into the LR5 - all seemed fine!
Is it actually necessary to export or simply Save metadata to files and import from Pictures on my hard drive?

Thanks for the affirmation Victoria :)

Great source of support and help through the Forum - Many thanks to ALL !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back