• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Local HSL adjustments in Lightroom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johan Elzenga

Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Power User
One of the most requested features for Lightroom is the ability to apply HSL-correction locally, through the Graduated Filter for example. Unfortunately, that is still not possible. I've just published a Lightroom tutorial that doesn’t completely allow for local HSL-corrections, but it allows you to apply a local saturation correction of a single color, probably the most requested local HSL-adjustment.

Thanks Johan, excellent approach.

I haven't yet upgraded to Classic. Is the ability to do HSL corrections in local adjustment selections part of Classic? That would be a reason to upgrade for sure. If it's not part of Classic (yet), can anyone explain why this seemingly obvious feature isn't feasible?

Interesting and easy to achieve, but isn't it the case that the shadow really is blue whereas our eyes see it as grey? I can't remember the reason, something to do with colour temperatures........

Quite happy to be corrected if not, however........

Interesting and easy to achieve, but isn't it the case that the shadow really is blue whereas our eyes see it as grey? I can't remember the reason, something to do with colour temperatures........

Quite happy to be corrected if not, however........

Yes, that is true. The reason is that the shadows are lit slightly by indirect sunlight (otherwise they would be pitch black) and that indirect sunlight is reflected light from the blue sky. Shadows are not blue on a dull day for that reason. However, we want the image to look like our eyes are seeing the scene, and our eyes (or better: our brains) correct for this. That's why we need to correct the photograph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back