Lightroom to Powerpoint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lisa1234

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
I want to use some photos in a Powerpoint presentation. What should the export settings be? I’m thinking especially about the image sizing.

Welcome to Lightroom Forums Lisa,

It will be more about resolution than "size". Simply set the width and height to the maximum number of pixels of the display (or projector) that will be used to show it. Also consider the file size if it is to be transferred. You may then have to add compression or/and lower the number of pixels used.

Thanks! But if I don’t know what kind of projector that will be used? I am invited to do a lecture. And I want to be able to use the same presentation more than once on different locations.

So, I guess that you will meet many HDMI devices. Then, 1080 pixels should be a nice common denominator. Try an export at that resolution and show it to yourself to judge quality...

Will there be a problem if I use higher resolution or use the photos I have already exported for print on paper?

A higher resolution is better than a lower resolution. PowerPoint can nicely reduce the photo to fit in the space you give it.

If you are like many others and me, you will use your own pc to give the presentation, hooking it up to the projector. The projector will then just project your full screen size. If you match the photo output to your pc screen you will be just fine.

Depending upon how the PowerPoint user's software is configured, you can have two different aspect ratios: Standard (4:3) or Widescreen (16:9). The crop of your images and the chosen aspect ratio of the Powerpoint user's setup are going to come into play too. If you shoot for 16:9 and 1920x1080 output, you will handle the more modern users. If the projection equipment is ancient and the version of PP old, you will want to be 4:3 at 1024x768. You will give up something no matter what.

It does not matter too much what size the images are and I would not even recommend exporting first.
Begin with the Powerpoint presentation. There you will need to select a compatible screen resolution. If you can't control the presentation device, you need to dumb down the presentation to the native resolution of the most basic machine that you expect to encounter. Often that is 800X600 (SVGA) but 1024X768 (XGA) is probably the lowest Common denominator for current basic models. High end DLPs can often sport HD-1080P (1920X1080). It is very important that you try to determine this BEFORE creating the PPT. Ultimately this was so frustrating for my that I bought my own DLP.
In LR you then simply export an downsize (if needed) to fit inside the PPT layout.

AH.Yes. Rikk have a very good point about aspect ratio. If possible, you can prepare two versions (or more). Sadly, the is no "rule" to fit every case. At some places, they will offer you a "daylight" room with windows and at other places a darker one giving more vivid colors. So, color rendering is another point difficult to control. If I am faced with one screen or DLP, I use my ColorMunki spectrophotometer to make a profile for the situation but this is more trouble than most will handle. Last time I had to make a presentation was at a golf club fund raising diner. My photos of the day on the golf course had to be presented at the cocktail at the end of the day. As I had only my iPhone and iPad to work with, I used one of my AppleTVs to simplify the "wiring". The problem then was that there many screens all around the bar, dining room, hall etc. Only one gave acceptable colours so that was impossible to think about any color profile. They were 16:9 but the DLP projector was 4:3. Something had to be given... The lesson for this case? Output your photos with an sRGB profile to fit most devices.

It does not matter too much what size the images are and I would not even recommend exporting first.
Begin with the Powerpoint presentation. There you will need to select a compatible screen resolution. If you can't control the presentation device, you need to dumb down the presentation to the native resolution of the most basic machine that you expect to encounter. Often that is 800X600 (SVGA) but 1024X768 (XGA) is probably the lowest Common denominator for current basic models. High end DLPs can often sport HD-1080P (1920X1080). It is very important that you try to determine this BEFORE creating the PPT. Ultimately this was so frustrating for me that I bought my own DLP.
Once you are in Power Point you can open LR and simply export without specifying a size. When you drag these exported images onto PowerPoint, you can use the sizing handles to resize the image to fit the slide. When you save Powerpoint, it will embed a properly sized image

One thing I learnt quite a few years ago about producing images for project is to process the image so that it looks right on your monitor and the drop the exposure by -0.20 and increase the contrast by +15. Also make sure when you export the images they have an sRGB colour profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back