1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightroom newbie - how to crop twice?

Discussion in 'Developing your Photos' started by Last Zebra, Aug 13, 2017 at 2:32 AM.

Tags:
  1. Last Zebra

Last Zebra New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.0 / CC 2015.0
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Hi all--I'm fairly new to Lightroom (6), working on a Mac and having switched over from Aperture. I'm having trouble figuring out how to crop twice (e.g., once from the right and then from the left). Once I use the crop tool, it refuses to let me crop again. Since I sometimes can't get the crop I want in one shot, this is quickly becoming frustrating. Any advice on how to manage this?
    Best,
    v.

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Welcome to the forum.The Crop tool uses a Crop window. The Window uses selected aspect ratio. The default aspect ratio is "original" which is usually 2:3 or the aspect ratio of your camera sensor. You can also choose any one of several common aspect ratios (5:7, 4:5, 3:4 (1024X768) etc.) or you can define your own, The crop window will specify it's dimensions in pixels and you can drag the image around UNDER the crop window to get the best composition. There are 8 "handles" to resize the window (4 at each corner and 4 in the middle of each side). You can grab a "handle" and while holding down the {Open} key resize all 4 sides proportionally. To the right of the dropDownListBox for the aspect ratio presets is a lock. Initially this is locked and if you choose a preset (say 16X9) the window remains in this aspect ratio unless you un lock it. If unlocked, the aspect ration is free and each side moves independently.