• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom newbie - how to crop twice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last Zebra

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Hi all--I'm fairly new to Lightroom (6), working on a Mac and having switched over from Aperture. I'm having trouble figuring out how to crop twice (e.g., once from the right and then from the left). Once I use the crop tool, it refuses to let me crop again. Since I sometimes can't get the crop I want in one shot, this is quickly becoming frustrating. Any advice on how to manage this?
Best,
v.

Welcome to the forum.The Crop tool uses a Crop window. The Window uses selected aspect ratio. The default aspect ratio is "original" which is usually 2:3 or the aspect ratio of your camera sensor. You can also choose any one of several common aspect ratios (5:7, 4:5, 3:4 (1024X768) etc.) or you can define your own, The crop window will specify it's dimensions in pixels and you can drag the image around UNDER the crop window to get the best composition. There are 8 "handles" to resize the window (4 at each corner and 4 in the middle of each side). You can grab a "handle" and while holding down the {Open} key resize all 4 sides proportionally. To the right of the dropDownListBox for the aspect ratio presets is a lock. Initially this is locked and if you choose a preset (say 16X9) the window remains in this aspect ratio unless you un lock it. If unlocked, the aspect ration is free and each side moves independently.

Thank you for your response. For some reason it wasn't allowing me to resize. However, when I crop first, it does allow me to adjust the crop window.
Cheers,
v.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back