• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Lightroom creating readOnly.lrcat files above my original catalogue - what are these?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exposurenz

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
PLease help, this is driving me crazy - my catalogues are creating readOnly.lrcat catalogues above my original catalogs - why. Its very confusing as Im not sure which one I should be working on? I ve tried deleting them but they reappear.
Thanks

The <something>readonly.lrcat files are indeed mysterious. See this thread on the U2U forum. Nothing got resolved there.

So far, I've only heard of them on Macs, and they seem to do no harm.

Do they match in size with their associated catalogues? Are they really read-only?

Hal

I still suspect that some kind of backup process is creating those when trying to back up a catalog that's open. Just a gut feeling.

Beat

I still suspect that some kind of backup process is creating those when trying to back up a catalog that's open. Just a gut feeling.

Beat
Time Machine most likely????

I am on a mac - but its not time machine and its not a backup. Today I deleted 3 of these files and it just creates another. There doesnt seem to be any issue with using the catalogs besides not knowing with one has your latest corrections on it. And not knowing why it is there! Does anyone one work on an external drive and take it home to another computer to contnue work? Im wondering if this is the problem? 2 different lightrooms (same version) but two diff' computers?

Beat
Time Machine most likely????
I'm not that up to snap on Time Machine, but I don't think TM makes temporary files in the local directory. It might make them in the Yime Capsule Or equivalent drive but not in the same folder as the file being backed up. That does not preclude any other Back up process trying (and failing) to get exclusive use of an active catalog.

Last edited:
...Today I deleted 3 of these files and it just creates another...
IT is not Lightroom unless you have LR regular to make Backup copies in the folder with the original Catalog. How frequent are you letting LR do backups of the catalog on close Are you certain the you are not confusing files named "{yourCatalogName}.lrcat.lock" and "{yourCatalogName}.lrcat-journal" as copies of "{yourCatalogName}.lrcat"? Note they all have the same name as the catalog including the Extension part. The only difference being the extension part is ".lock" and ".lrcat-journal".

Do you have any active AppleScripts that might be causing this catalog copy process?

Today I deleted 3 of these files and it just creates another.

Were all 3 existing simultaneously, or did you delete them between Lightroom sessions?

Do you know exactly when they are being created? While Lightroom is running, or when you exit the program?

Could you post a screen shot of one of the mystery files showing in Finder?

Thanks,
Hal

Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 09.10.09.pngScreen shot 2012-02-16 at 09.09.56.png

Here are the screen shots of my finder window - hope you an see these images? If you have any idea idea what these are, you help would be muchly appreciated.
Thank you

That is a mystery! What other software is running in the background? A screenshot of Activity Monitor, showing all of the active processes, might add a few clues.

Oh, and one more question - do you see the same if your catalog's on the internal drive?

Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 09.42.37.jpg
I dont store any of my catalogs on the interenal drive - they are all on external drives. Here is a shot of the activity !
Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 09.42.37.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 09.42.37.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 362
Screen shot 2012-02-16 at 09.46.14.jpg
Ooppps I chopped half of the activity monitor off! Heres a better shot

I can't seen any obvious causes there. What happens if you just put a test catalog on the internal drive? I'm just interested to know whether it's something about those external drives, help narrow it down a bit.

Interesting - I'll try the catalog on the internal drive next week - (its a new external drive) so you may have something there! I'll let you know!

I believe it will be either a permissions or format of the drive issue.

It does appear to me that Lightroom is the thing that's creating these files. I guess this because the string "readOnly" appears several times in the compiled Lua files that are part of the package. I have absolutely no guesses about why it is doing this, or whether it indicates a problem.

Seems like I found where these files are coming from. I've had them in the past, deleted them and haven't seen them in over a year. But.. they started appearing last week, strangely just after I installed & tried Hype (the hyped HTML5 app). While running & testing all Hype's features, that application hang a couple of times when I tried to go into the View menu. While force quitting the app multiple times, my automatic backup/sync utility notified me of (unexpected) changes in my photo projects folder: a lot of readOnly.lrcat files appearing out of nowhere.

In Hype's View menu is the "Media Browser" (see screenshot below). The Media Browser not only displays your iPhoto library, but all Lightroom catalogs as well. I assume that it took quite a while to make "read only" copies of all my available catalogs, hence Hype's hard time displaying the menu. I've seen such a "media browser" in other apps as well, but I rarely use it. Guess that's what caused these -readOnly.lrcat's to be created a year+ ago as well.

In my experience it's completely safe to delete them. I continue doing so and haven't had any troubles since. Only thing I don't understand is the reason behind these files.

Kind regards,
Jeroen Smit

screenshot 2012-04-18 at 18.37.30.png

Last edited:
Ah, that's a brilliant bit of detective work Jeroen! Thanks for sharing, and welcome to the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back