• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

lightroom 4.2 errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilli

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
since my updtae to LR 4.2 I have had errors.. first, when I insert a card for download i get an error that lightroom must close ( before it even opens)
second , when i try to export to a folder on a different drive I get an error but it eports it anyway. . lightroom 4.2 export error.png
using windows 64 bit, windows 7 -32 gigs ram-i7 3.50 ghz

On your second question: at the bottom of the Export dialog, check the "After Export" setting. If it's blank, change it to "Do nothing". I think that should clear up the export error.

I'm not sure about the first question, perhaps one of our Windows gurus can chime in on that one.

I do not run windows but your first problem sounds like a problem with the configuration of windows that tells it which application to start when it detects a photo card. It's photo import on the mac. You might try fiddling with those settings and see if that makes a change.

-louie

Louie is probably right. Go have a look at the Autoplay settings (Control Panel>Autoplay) and see what options you have set for media types "Pictures" and "Mixed Content" as these are the two areas which can affect the automatic start of Lightroom when external devices such as memory cards and external drives are connected.

For a start, do you want Lightroom to be automatically launched when you insert a memory card, not everybody does? Assuming you do, I've found that the best way to set up the Autoplay is as per the attached screenshot.

If your settings for "Pictures" and "Mixed Media" are the same as mine, yet the problem persists, that might indicate a more fundamental problem in your system somewhere. In which case start by changing both types to "Take no action", then start Lightroom, then insert a memory card and manually invoke Import. Does this work?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 304
thanks people... will try. I wonder why anything would be different with an update from 4.1? i didnt change any settings.

On your second question: at the bottom of the Export dialog, check the "After Export" setting. If it's blank, change it to "Do nothing". I think that should clear up the export error.

I'm not sure about the first question, perhaps one of our Windows gurus can chime in on that one.

this worked for the export problem. it was blank. what would make all the settings change with the update?

the first question might have just been a fluke.. everything seems to have worked since.
thanks everyone, problem solved!

I dont believe this! I cant get lightroom to launch today. the only thing i changed was 'do nothing ' after export. I am not trying to import, I jsut want to open lightroom to work!

after a restart it opened with a notice that lightroom encountered an error and must close. I was able to launch it after that though. Ive never had that happen before. is thjis my computer or another bug?

Last edited:
So how exactly do you normally start Lightroom, and what exactly is happening when you do that?

to start lightroom i normally click the shortcut on my desktop.. i had nothing else going except perhaps email, and that would have been minimized. normally lightroom starts, but this time nothing. After several tries and waiting, i got the eggtimer but nothing opened. i tried going to start>all programs to click the icon in that list and nothing... restarted computer and after it booted, clicked the icon again and got the error message, presumably from the first attempt. (sent information to microsoft) i closed that and clicked the icon again and it opened normally. this is an i7 computer and memory etc is no problem, also lots of space but many internal and external drives. there has always been a slight delay accessing the large externals when they are asleep but that shouldn't be affecting the program launch. my program drive is an SSD drive. all data is on another drive.
For the most part almost most all glitches stem from my wacom intuos 3 tablet. lately ive been getting a lot of program freezes. perfect layer freezes, photoshop freezes, lightroom glitches.. the last driver update they had was august 7th.

Last edited:
Have you tried disconnecting the Wacom to see if the problems disappear? It certainly sounds as though this isn't a specific Lightroom issue, more a system issue.

I cannot get my LR to open. I get an error message that reads "unexpected error opening catalog". I downloaded the new upgrades for 4.2 and I cannot open now

errors when launching LR 4.2

where to post bugs? ongoing problems with 4.2. I saved some screencaps of the errorlightroom 4.2 error-1.pnglightroom error-2.png

Have you tried disconnecting the Wacom to see if the problems disappear? It certainly sounds as though this isn't a specific Lightroom issue, more a system issue.

No, I havent dicsonnected it, but this launching error is a new problem specific to 4.2 update.

hilli, frustrating as it is I'm not seeing this around the forums, etc. So I recommend trying the Wacom suggestion to start with. There will be a few more things that can be tried too but I'll leave those ideas to Windows gurus!!

thanks Kiwigeoff
maybe it is the computer, but I havent had the problems previously. I am using a mouse right now because while using lightroom I had a graphics card driver crash, and i couldnt close any windows.. strange as it is. new computer. I wonder if I am having any hardware failures?
I had to restart to recover. the graphics card is 7900series ATI
the only other problem Ive ahd with lightroom in this computer is the import feature that wont let me uncheck all and choose only some. it loses the 'source' . I have posted another thread on that.

Hilli, have you had the system checked out by the people who built it? For a new computer you seem to be having a few too many issues with it.

But back to Lightroom, are you still getting the launching errors when trying to start it, even after disconnecting the Wacom? If so, have you tried booting into "Safe Mode" to see if that makes a difference when you try to start Lightroom?

Hi Jim,
I'm not sure how to use safe mode. Catching the person who built the computer is a toughie and I cant lift it to take it out. He doesn't have a business but he knows computers. problems started with LR 4.2 except for the import issue which it's always had since lr4.

the launch problem was not repeatable every time, but at the moment I am using a mouse so will see how that goes. I will contact wacom, but first I will uninstall the driver and reinstall the current one.
I'm not sure why the graphincs card driver stopped working. that was scary. I am also going to use a differrent stylus incase there is something wrong with the wires.
so far so good this morning. :)

OK, good luck.

Starting in Safe Mode was suggested only as a temporary thing, more of a test really to see if the problem goes away. Next reboot it reverts to normal mode (unless you invoke Safe Mode again)......but if the problem's not consistent, probably it wouldn't help anyway.

I am back. Computer not dead. I have no idea what happened. It restarted normally after I shut the computer down from the blue screen. My 'mechanic' connected with me from afar and turned off a few things in the start menu, plus i have disconnected my three terabyte externals. Time will tell if we have nipped the problems in the bud. perhaps the externals are dragging it down.

Hilli, The ATI Radeon series has been plagued by a Win update that can result in BSD. We have found some resolution in removing the Win update and going with the ATI version of drivers. That is the good news, the bad news is you may have to reinstall to get it all back. In the future I wquld hide all Win ATI Radeon updates and stick with the manufacturers drivers.

hilli, that truly sucks. I am just wondering if you have a memory problem. You certainly have enough memory! If you reboot and follow the safe mode described above, and if there is something wrong physically with your computer you should find out soon enough. You might like to go to your system folder in Control Panel and check for exclamation marks on the hardware. If your graphics card is acting up there should be something there.

How frustrating to have a new computer and have the thing not function. I've been there, and I bet half the people on this forum have too. If electronic thingmies are going to fail they pretty much fail in the first 500 hours or else they go on for a long time. I hope your guy comes home soon.

Do you own Adobe Edge Animator?

The dynamic link library faulted in your earlier post belongs to Adobe Edge Animator

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back