• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Keyboard Shortcuts -- not the same!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobOK

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I'm starting to use LR CC on my laptop to do some culling and light editing while I am away from my desktop (images originally imported into Classic and synced to CC).

First, there is no Auto Advance on rating/selects. That is a pain. For a quick work around you can set your view to exclude Rejected photos and so then if you reject it disappears and goes to the next. (The next being the last direction you were moving so sometimes that is going backwards).

PICK is no longer the P key, but is Z. It took me a while to figure what they were thinking, but I see they moved Pick and Reject adjacent so you could use two fingers. There is some sense to this, but my muscle memory makes it hard to get used to.

You can have two left hand fingers on Z and X and right hand on the arrows. Workable.

Sometime when I am Culling I like to do a quick Crop to remove something on the edge of the frame. R for Crop, right? No, Crop is now C.

So in one case they went more mnemonic (C for Crop) and in one case they went away (Z for Pick). In both cases moving away from the current Classic mapping. My advice to Adobe would be to keep both always in sync, to have keyboard mapping on both, and to recommend to users new mappings but allow the user to choose.

As a quick aside to above... i remember C for Crop when I open the crop panel, and then to get out of the Panel I forget and hit R (the old shortcut). I do leave Crop but then am in an unfamiliar set of sliders, it takes me a second to figure out I am in Radial panel.

a further tip.... C going into Crop, and if you want to continue making adjustments or at least have the panel open, use E to close the Crop panel which then opens the Edit panel (which matches the default behavior in Classic)

Yeah, I'm still hitting the wrong keys too Rob. It'll take a while for them to level everything up. If you need a list, it's up here: Keyboard Shortcuts | The Lightroom Queen Crop and Pick are the main changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back