1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

KelbyOne, bastion of Adobe, adds Luminar support

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mcasan, Apr 12, 2017.

1. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Oh the times, they are a changing...

KelbyOne and Macphun have a deal that will evidently bring Luminar training to KelbyOne. Scott already has released presets for Luminar.

Macphun newsletter

I think it is time for some serious changes at Adobe for Lr. Compare Lr and Photo RAW and you will see that their respective Develop modules are very similar. But look at how easy it is to move to RAW's Effects module and continue to work non-destructively. No need for a PSD, TIF, or DNG to be created. And if you compare the Macphun apps (Luminar plus Aurora) you far more extensive set of filters available. What Lr has going for it is long term market presence, a DAM, plus pond and HDR handling.

My point is, I start to seriously wonder if Adobe gives much of a care about photographers (and the same goes for Apple). Why don't we have a non destructive path from Develop to world of advanced filters? Why should we have to go to Ps?

OK, my rant is over. I will leave the soapbox to others. I can't want for Macphun to release their DAM. Once that is in place, maybe no need for CC. Anyone even heard any good rumors on a Lr 2017 release? ;)

2. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    From one of the FAQ answers, about a comparison with Lightroom:

Truth to be told, at this moment Luminar doesn't include an image library or any kind of photo browsing experience. So Luminar for Mac can not be considered a LR alternative for those who host photos with LR, or have an established workflow with Adobe CC. But in the future we plan to add the browsing and asset management capabilities to Luminar.

We have to assume that "future" here means post-2017, since they have also stated that there will be a Windows version in 2017. I wouldn't be surprised if Macphun simply acquires an existing DAM vendor.

Phil

3. Jimmsp

Jimmsp Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have been down that road with Phase One and Capture One - the journey was a rough one. Phase One acquired a 3rd party DAM, and never could integrate their products successfully.

4. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Much depends what you mean as a DAM. I can import/ingest with Photo Mechanic into folders and subfolders in the file system; no database required. DxO Optics or Photo RAW can easily read, open, and edit the files, no database needed. Lr can be painfully slow to import, generate previews, and store the info in a database. I was naively thinking, hope springs eternal, that Adobe just might serious redo Lr for 2017 and take serious advantage of GPUs and other techniques to deliver renders on the fly with more than a second delay. If On1 can do that with their limited resources, Adobe should be able to do an even better job.

5. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    not sure on1 is faster over all mcasan .. LR still rules the roost imo although I do use on1 on most files now . Lots more options coming through but I feel adobe are too far ahead to be worrying too much about the new kids on the block; although they mustn't get complacent either . If the kids got together it would be a different story. I gave ON1; and coral paint shop a good go --- lightroom is still used 1st and last on this computer

6. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Yes, Adobe is ahead now, but with software, market positions can (and do) shift dramatically over in only a few years. Anyone still use Yahoo for search?

IF on1 would support Lightroom plug-ins, (and I have no idea what is involved technically) and directly import Adobe lrcat files, then suddenly Adobe could become really exposed. Especially if on1 offers "switchover" pricing.

Of course, all that would require a lot of programming resource, and I have no idea about on1's corporate strategies and goals.

Phil

7. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription

Photo RAW can now act as a plugin to Lr or Ps. Please RAW can send files to plugins that are designed for use with Lr or Ps. This year On1 is supposed to release a migration tool/feature to help migrate folks from Lr DAM to RAW. I imagine Macphun has the same idea when they release their DAM. So things should be very interesting by the end of this year.

8. PhilBurton

PhilBurton Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    If this all happens, then things should become very "interesting" for Adobe. Competition is good for us, not so much for Adobe.

Phil

9. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    and that is one reason I bought on1; not that my $$ alone would make a great impact on on1 resources
    You can send a files to on1 in similar ways a files are sent to PS/nik and the likes -- when edited, it returns to lr beside the original file . To open in on1 layers: >file >plugin extras. The open in the on1 develop can be done via export ---- I just use the plug in way . Until I opened the forum just now I have been fiddling around in ON1 to get a better/fuller understanding of it . One of the big dramas with ON1 is the lack of online info and books (compared to adobe) . They have a forum with the subscription to ON1 PLUS, but I'm don't really want or need ALL the other stuff they offering with the subs. I have dropped a few hints to Victoria about a forum, perhaps something like the 'photoshop for lr uses' section would do (??).
    the more copies ON1 sells the more they can offer --- like a grid and ruler :)cry: PLEASE On1-- the more worried adobe will be. The old rule of competition

10. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    On1 has made huge progress in Photo RAW since it was released at Christmas. I have had many a message exchange with Stevie, James, and Terry at their support desk sending in crash dumps and other data. For me what is important is go go from Develop to Effects and back with a simple click and still use the same raw file and sidecar, no creation of TIF, PSD, or other new file. I can't wait for them to update Layers so the same is possible with that module. Seeing that On1 is doing with a raw file plus a sidecar makes me wonder why can't there be a version of Ps that does likewise. Is there any filter or effect that could not be an instruction set sitting in a sidecar?

11. Ian.B

Ian.B Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    are you in on1 plus mcasan? (if so; is it worth it)
    on1 crashes have dramatically reduced for me
    large psd files that I have mentioned before -- they are 16 bit; not the my usual 8 bit :humble:

12. mcasan

mcasan Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have both CC and RAW. My CC subscription renews late this summer. So if On1 continues the progress, and Adobe continues to sit on its arse, I will drop CC. I am totally underwhelmed by what Adobe has done in Lr since Dehaze.