Import Queston

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffL

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
When I open the import program one of the volumes LR4 recognizes is a backup drive that I have. This causes the import dialog box to take a very long time to open up since there are many photos on it. It works fine if I disconnect the drive beforehand. I wanted to know if there was any way to tell LR to ignore this drive rather than having to disconnect it. Thanks.
Jeff

Uncheck the box that is labeled "Include Subfolders".

Also if you insert a Camera Card into your card reader, the LR Import Dialog will defer to this removable device instead of any others.

FWIW I have 3 EHDs connected by USB or FW. None of these ever are selected in the Import dialog unless I specifically select them in the import panel.

As you suggested the problem doesn't occur when I put a card into my reader, just when I open the import screen from the file menu. I have two EHD and for some reason only the one causing trouble is recognized as a 'device' is the source panel and seems to default to that drive. I tried unchecking "include subfolders' but it is greyed out. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks, Jeff

import sequence of files

Morning,
If I may clip my question on this thread:

I regularly transfer photo files from a notebook to a USB key and thence to LR2.7 on windows XP

I try to retain the filie name sequence, but have random success with this.

• The choice of of drop file I retain is the second below: keep the original file names.

However, in nearly all transfers, I end up with the first case: the files pile up in the 'title' master file, or in a subfile created.
The reason is that, in this case, the second transfer option simply does not feature in the choice of action.

I am unable to obtain a logical response to my trials!

file import options:
"En un dossier

Copie ou place les photos importées dans un nouveau dossier.
Par dossiers d’origine

Conserve la hiérarchie d’origine pour les dossiers contenant les photos importées.
Par date

Utilise une date comme nom pour le dossier contenant les photos importées."

This occurs what ever camera or type of file I use ( CR2, X3F, RW2, Jpg )
Thanks for any help.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying, I try to explain how the different import options work:

1) This will place all images in a folder G:\Temp, regardless of their source folder:
capture_0004_20120417_011817.png

2) This will place all images in one subfolder "Subfolder1" of folder G:\Temp, regardless of their source folder:
capture_0005_20120417_012059.png

3) This will place the images into subfolders of folder G:\Temp by capture date, regardless of their source folder:
capture_0006_20120417_012307.png

4) This will place the images into subfolders of folder G:\Temp, depending on the folder names the images reside in in the source device:
capture_0008_20120417_012944.png

If this does not answer your question, please try to explain again on where you would like the images to end up (what folder structure).

Beat

Attachments

• capture_0007_20120417_012635.png
    capture_0007_20120417_012635.png
    23.7 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Thank you for the reply.

The n°4 option, 'par dossier d'origine' is my requirement.

Unfortunately, this option seems to appear randomly!

Prior to yesterday's message, I tried to import a block of 12 subfolders from:

a) the original memory card,
b) a copy on an USB key,
c) a copy in windows explorer.

The only organiser options given were: by date or in a ( single) folder.

Perversely, this morning, having copied a test block to the 'bureau' ( computor opening screen), the 'original folder' option presented itself!

I simply wish to understand why this is, so as to avoid recopying file names --- is this an occasional bug?
Thanks for help.

a precision: the images in the memory card are, of course, not organised in files; this was done in windows, on a netbook, and then transfered by a usb key to a main computor. Importing from the key or from explorer gave the same 'problem' -- no ' original file' option.

'par dossier d'origine' is only available when you choose "Import All Photos in Selected Folder", but not when you choose individual file in a folder:
capture_0001_20120417_210546.png

As my screenshot shows, you can also have several folders selected when choosing this option.

Beat

Morning,
I opened a new catalogue on the netbook and (re)tried the transfer mode: no problem; 'dossier d'origine' appears each time.
Am baffled, as I follow exactly the same procedure each time ( can't be simpler, even with jet lag!! )
Anyway, hope it lasts;
Thanks again.
CZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back