1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Import organize by date: YYYY\YYYY_MM_DD\Filename ?

Discussion in 'Lightroom General Discussion (ARCHIVE)' started by Witwald, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Witwald

Witwald New Member

It doesn't seem to be possible to organize the importing of files by date using the convention YYYY\YYYY_MM_DD\Filename. All that the Lightroom 2.' BETA seems to support is the YYYY\YYYY-MM-DD\Filename convention. I have a lot of files from previous downloads using that use the YYYY\YYYY_MM_DD\Filename convention. Is there a way to get Lightroom 2.' BETA to follow that convention? I can't seem to find one, which is a bit of a pity for me, as I have to resort to external-to-Lightroom methods.

2. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I'm not aware of a way to switch the _ for - in the Import folder naming, but you can double click on each of the folder names in the import dialog to rename them yourself, or rename the folders once they're in LR too.

3. Witwald

Witwald New Member

Thanks for the handy tip about double-clicking the folder names in the import dialog. I didn't realise that if you did that you could rename them manually prior to importing the images. When done with a few days of picture taking at a time being imported, it's a reasonably convenient workaround for me.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Senior Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    This will not sovle the problem within LR v2.', but you can use ImageIngester to rename and back up your files. I actually prefer that route as it is very flexible in naming, converting and backing up files. Once the files are renmaed, backed up and converted to DNG, I just have LR import them as they are.

--Ken

5. AnitaD

AnitaD New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.7.x Lion
    You can use dashes instead of underscores in the Filename Template Editor. In the Import Photos dialog box, choose Edit from the File Naming Tempate menu, and then choose the tokens you want--YYYY, MM, DD, etc. In the example box, put dashes between the tokens.

6. Victoria Bampton

Victoria Bampton Lightroom Queen / Owner Staff Member Administrator Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Nice to see you hear again Anita.

Does that work in the folder names in the Import dialog too? I didn't think it did?

7. Sverre

Sverre New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows Vista 64-bit
    I also want the flexibility to change token. I like to have pictures from the same happening in one folder even if it spans over a few days. In Norway we use the token - to describe a span. If a happening spans just one day i like to use a foldername like "2''8.'4.'4 Birthday Erik" and if it spans a few day I like to use "2''8.'4.'1-'2 Skiing Hemsedal". Of course You can change this manually but I save a lot of work if Lightroom can automatically name folders like YYY.MM.DD.

This should be an easy change?