1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

PUBLISH I'm getting quite into this Publish thing

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by WildVanilla, Jan 2, 2017.

1. WildVanilla

WildVanilla New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.9 / CC 2015.9
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi

Publish Services has been something I've largely ignored, for fear of messing things up. But over the Christmas / New Year holiday I've bitten the bullet and gone for it! Here's what I'm now using it for:

LRPS.png

Hard Drive 1: my local camera club requires competition photos to be 1400x1050 with a black background canvas for any unused space, and there are other requires for filename etc. Using the LR/Mogrify post-process plugin - LR/Mogrify 2 - Add Watermarks, Border and Text Annotions to Images Exported by Adobe Lightroom 2 - makes the sizing and canvassing easy. I have been doing this via an Export preset, but find this way much easier.

Hard Drive 2: this is simply a publish folder for my Windows Wallpaper images. (In Windows 7/8/10 you can right-click on a set of images and then set them as wallpaper that randomly changes image every 10 minutes or so.)

500px: they do their own LR plugin, which I used here. Couldn't do for retrospective photos without duplicating them, but works well for new images going forwards.

jf Facebook: I'm a big fan of Jefrrey Friedl's Lightroom plugins - Jeffrey's Lightroom Goodies (Plugins and Tools) I've used this plugin for Export for a long time, but have now 'upgraded' to a Publish Service.

jf Flickr: Ditto re previous use as an Export Preset, but the power of this plugin lies in the syncing with (much of) your already-published photos too. I found this worked very well.

jf Folder Publisher: As I have Amazon Prime anyway, I've been using their unlimited photo storage with 2048-sized JPEGs as a sort of backup (not my only backup, BTW!). This plugin lets me sync my whole collection (all photos, excludes rejected, excludes videos) to a backup folder structure. Then I use SyncBackPro backup software - the powerful solution to sync to Amazon Cloud Drive.

Koken: I have a hosted website for my transport-related photos (of limited interest to most!) which uses Koken as it's gallery software. Koken has a free LR publish service plugin, so I use that to publish direct from Lightroom rather than manual uploading.

LR Instagram: I use the unofficial LR/Instagram - Lightroom Publish Plugin for Instagram which works well. It comes with a post-process action which crops photos to Instagram size.

I enjoy tweaking and automating things, so this whole Publish Services thing has been quite a revelation to me. No idea why I haven't taken the plunge before!

Would be interested in what people think of what I'm doing, and any suggestions for other things I should be considering.

Cheers

Rob

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If you like automating, consider this. My camera club requires Category codes prepended and Maker Names suffixed to the file name for competition. I am able to rename conditionally using Jeffrey Freidl's Collection Publisher. For example a file named "D8E_7666.NEF" gets published as "N_White Peacock7666_CLee.jpg" whenI have "Nature" as a Keyword and "White Peacock" as the Title.