1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

How to provide access to archival collections via web browser

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by Cuzzinbrucie, Dec 14, 2016.

1. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    As a beginner to Lr, I may already have access to the components I need to create what I will now describe. I am subscribed to the Lightroom CC Photography bundle for $9.99/mo. I'm slowly learning what capabilities are included in this package.

I am in the process of archiving my family photos, slides, videos, etc, for posterity. I'm intending for this entire collection to be viewable by family members via their web browsers. I plan to organize these objects into folders and collections with meaningful names and then include these in a hierarchical table of contents. I would also like to make finished slideshows and/or exported videos of slideshows available via the same facility.

Could someone offer some general guidance on how I would do this with the components available to me in the Lightroom CC Photography bundle? Also, could you direct me to examples of similar live applications already in existence that I could use as models?

2. Harley_Rider

Harley_Rider New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.4 / CC 2015.4
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    I'm sure some of the more experienced folks here will be able to provide other/better solutions. But, one way to do this is to set an on line photo sharing site like Flickr. You then use the LR Flickr Publish Service to upload and post your pictures. Now Flickr manages the web pages for you and all you have to do is give your family and friends your Flickr page URL.

Cuzzinbrucie likes this.
  3. Conrad Chavez

Conrad Chavez Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    If you subscribe to the Lightroom CC bundle, it's possible to do it completely within the bundle using the Lightroom cloud sync feature. You'd organize your photos into Collections, then mark specific Collections to sync up to Lightroom Web. If you then mark any of those Collections as Shared, they become accessible to anyone you give the web link to. Here's a link to an Adobe example of presenting a Lightroom Web shared collection as a story with headers, sections, and text (scroll down to "Lightroom on the Web—November Updates").

Harley_Rider gave an example of how you could also use the built-in Publish Services to connect directly to other photo sharing sites, like Flickr or Smugmug, if you decide to go that way. That can be a very convenient way to go, since editing collections in Lightroom will automatically update the web site. And many of those other web sites have more powerful sharing and privacy features than you get in Lightroom Web.

But it's worth thinking about the bigger picture when you're talking about sharing photos on the web "for posterity." That is a long time...so if you go with any paid solution, like Lightroom Mobile, it must be paid for long after you are gone, and as long as your family exists. Also, there's no guarantee how many years any service — paid or free — will be available, or available in its current form under its current owners.

Whatever solution you choose, for it to last for posterity you need to make sure the stewardship of that web site has a continuity plan just like any other valuable family assets/online accounts or printed family photo albums. Many online photo hosts have gone under in the last 10 years alone. Somebody in each generation needs to be responsible for maintaining and fixing the family web site as the hosting company changes how it works. If the company gets out of the photo business, someone will have to migrate all those photos and albums to a different provider. If it's a paid service, somebody in each generation needs to be responsible for making sure the payments get paid every month or year. And whoever does that is also responsible for passing on the responsibility to someone in the next generation.

Cuzzinbrucie likes this.