1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

How to overlay unique text on each photo in slideshow

Discussion in 'Lightroom 1-6 for Windows & Mac (perpetual)' started by Cuzzinbrucie, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I scanned the help in LR, got fairly close to success. Last thing I did before stopping was to add a unique text phrase to one photo and placed it right on top of photo. That seemed to work. Then I went to the next photo and added its unique text phrase on top of the photo. Went back to first photo I had changed and now I see BOTH of the "unique" text strings on BOTH photos instead of only one text string on each. What am I doing wrong?

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.13.x High Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Make use of the image metadata Caption field and use a "token". Then each image's Caption will be uniquely displayed. There are other Metadata fields that can be used if you construct a slide text Preset.

3. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    [This is a cut and paste I posted on a similar topic]

Adobe have done a very good job of providing tools to place metadata on the Slideshow.

It is so sad (and why are Adobe so stubborn) that they do not add the same feature to the Print module.

Anyway....

1. Make sure the Toolbar (T) is active in the Slideshow module.
    2. Select the Text tool (ie ABC)
    3. Select the Metadata field you want to use.
    4. Place the metadata field where you want. This is an exquisite piece of coding as you can offset the position from generic locations such as Bottom Middle, Top Right etc., to optimise placement based on Font Size, etc..

Again, a real shame this feature is not in the Print Module and the reason I have to make round trips to InDesign to replicate this process for Prints, that should be self contained within Lr.

[​IMG]

4. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    What I understand from both of your answers is that the only way I can imbed or overlay a string of image specific text directly on the image is to use up a metadata field for the string. Is this correct? I was used to doing this all the time in Google Picasa.

5. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.13.x High Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes, though Title and Caption are not the only fields that can be used if you use a Preset as I described.

6. Gnits

Gnits Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You can use a custom text, which will be a constant text on every slide.

upload_2017-1-2_11-20-9.png

If you want to vary the text per slide, then you will need to use one of the metadata fields.

upload_2017-1-2_11-21-41.png

If you click on the Edit button you will have even a larger range of metadata fields to choose from.

I think Adobe have done a good job of allowing text in the Slideshow module. I regret every day the same features are not available in the Print and Book modules.