1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage portfolio from LR to iPad

Discussion in 'Workflow Discussion' started by Ad Astra, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi,

I am trying to get to grips with a topic that I am finding difficult to solve; namely how to get a copy of my best photos on my PC in Lightroom CC onto my iPad.

I have read that iTunes can adjust jpeg files when used to sync from the PC to an iPad. I guess my first fundamental question is: is this true? I.e. I should avoid exporting jpegs from Lightroom just so that I can sync them with iTunes to my iPad?

I have read Jefrey Friedl's blog article on "From Lightroom To iPad — Take Two" which makes it sound a very involved process, and even then I looks like I need a new app on the iPad that supports FTP to get the images onto my iPad.

At this stage I wondered if Lightroom mobile would do it, but I am unsure what this can do for me. E.g. how would I handle output sharpening for screen? I am looking to be able to plug my iPad into a projector via an HDMI cable, would Lightroom mobile do all the image scaling or do I need to create jpeg files of the correct dimensions and sharpened for the projector and sync these to Lightroom mobile?

I also have a SanDisk iXpand drive, not really used this much as I had expected so wondered if I could export from LR to that drive and then copy the photos from iXpand drive to the iPad. The trouble with the iXpand drive is that it uses the only lightening port so you are then stuck as you cannot connect the projector via a HDMI adaptor at the same time.

I wondered if anybody had a solution to this problem and could give me some pointers to a workable solution that would help save several days of experimentation.

Many thanks

Last edited: Dec 29, 2016
  2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Lightroom Mobile is by far the easiest solution. The images look great on the iPad, so there is no reason to assume that they won't look good when the iPad is connected to a projector (but I never tried it).

Ad Astra likes this.
  3. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks Johan, I thought Lightroom Mobile would help in some way but I am puzzled by the smart previews. Have I got this right that Lightroom mobile syncs the smart preview only? If so how would I handle output sharpening for screen? Is the best way just to project the Smart preview within Lightroom Mobile or should I create jpegs on the iPad from Lightroom Mobile and use sharpen for screen?

4. johnbeardy

johnbeardy Senior Member Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Yes, it syncs smart previews at 2048 pixels, long size. LrM handles their sharpening for screen, so I would start by trying LrM with your projector - no JPEGs.

Ad Astra likes this.
  5. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thanks John & Johan

I will give Lightroom Mobile a try. I have some spare time over the holiday break so will invest some time in getting Lightroom Mobile up and running on my IPad. The projector will be a big experiment anyway so I'll try direct from Lightroom Mobile and see what the photos look like.

6. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    One suggestion is to "enable offline editing" for each collection. You select this by tapping the collection on the iPad and it makes LrM download the smart previews onto the device. I'll also watch the process to ensure it's finished (there's a progress bar). I do this for all collections, and the benefit is the confidence that I can view the pictures even when the iPad isn't connected to the internet.

7. JohanElzenga

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Huh? You can always view your images when the iPad is offline! The only reason to download the smart previews is if you want to be able to edit images when you are offline.

8. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You can't have used it offline much then. You're right about the theory, but not in practice. The only way to be completely sure you can view all your images offline is by enabling offline editing.

9. JohanElzenga

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I've used it offline plenty of times. As long as you go through the images (while on an internet connection) shortly before you need them offline, you should be fine. Of course there is nothing against downloading the smart previews just to be sure.

10. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Except when connected to wifi, my Lightroom Mobile is almost never online as I disable mobile data in iOS and in LrM. I've had too much experience of hoping to see or show pictures and then finding they're unavailable or I can't zoom in.

Sure, "you should be fine" but that "should" isn't good enough when you want to look at or show someone some pictures. And unless you really know that you want to view a certain group of images, you just can't be expected to go through images in advance. Being sure is the whole point, as I've stated twice, so I always recommend people enable offline editing for all collections.

11. JohanElzenga

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Point taken. The OP specifically mentioned showing images on a projector, so I assume he does know exactly which images he's going to show. That's why I said that he should be fine if he checks those images (while online) shortly before the show. That has never failed me so far. But I agree: why take any chances if you can be sure by downloading the smart previews.

12. Ad Astra

Ad Astra Active Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I am up and running with Lightroom Mobile, it was straight forward to set up. LR Mobile even works with PSD files which was a pleasant surprise. I will definitely be using "enable offline editing", hadn't thought of that so critical for displaying portfolio photos; 3G coverage and WiFi is just too hit and miss, at least in the UK.

This raises a new workflow question, on the Master PC how do you organise the Collections that are shared via LR Mobile?

I currently have a Collection for Portfolio and another smaller one for LR Mobile Portfolio. This means I have to copy a new portfolio photo into two collections. I guess I could have one Portfolio collection and keyword if to send to LR Mobile. Which is also an overhead. Any tips on organising collections for LR mobile?

Many thanks

13. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10.1 / CC 2015.10.1
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I have a Collection Set for LR Mobile Photos. Collections are a part of my workflow which is driven by Smart Collections. LR Mobile needs Static Collections and can not respond to Smart Collection criteria. Any Static Collection can be set to Sync with LR Mobile. There is a Special Collection in the Catalog panel called "All Sync'd Photographs". It contains all sync'd photos in all collections. If a photo appears in more than one sync'd collection, it will only be sent one time to the CC Cloud sync area.

14. johnbeardy

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.6 / CC 2015.6
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Great. FYI, video are the only file types that won't sync normally.

I don't do anything special to organise these synced collections (around 30). I guess the only thing is that as part of the Import process, I use the option in the Import dialog to add new photos to my collection "Current Work", which is already synced. So all new photos are automatically synced, which is handy when they're still new and under review and I might not be near my desktop. Existing photos are synced if I happen to decide I want to sync the collection they're in - so it's very ad hoc. Currently I have about 2500 pictures synced.

Notice that at the top of the Collections panel is a little filter box which lets you display only those collections which are synced.

John