1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Hola

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by carolinesque, Oct 7, 2017.

1. carolinesque

carolinesque New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Howdy everyone,

I am not a photographer, but I seem to like taking photos with my Nikon/Sony on my free time. I'm an amateur LR user and I would like to improve my photos with the help of Lightroom.

I have had LR on my previous computer for a while, but never really got time to play around with it until coming home from a holiday last month. I have started editing my photos using LR and was amazed by what it can do to my travel photos, but my old computer cannot make LR to work smoothly while running other programs which led me to migrating to a new computer and now I am stuck with how to organize my files, and that's how I learned about Lightroom Queen and Lightroom Forums.Net.

If you can direct me to file organization how-to's or share your best practices, that would be really really awesome! :)

Thank you for letting me aboard!

2. Umberto Cocca

Umberto Cocca New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hi Carolinesque! :) Welcome to the forum! I am quite new myself, but there are a bunch of nice and very helpful people here around in this forum.

I would suggest to read the Starter Kit post, a useful collection of useful posts and articles:
    The Starter Kit

As per file organisation I use a "root folder" called Fotos, and inside there I would have a simple year / month hierarchy as follows:

Fotos\

2016\
    12 December
    2016.12.24 Christmas eve

2017\
    01 January\
    2017.01.15 Vacation on the Alps\
    2017.01.22 Rudy's Birthday\
    02 February\
    2017.02.11 Castlerock\

It mainly depends on how many shoots you do per month, you can also skip the "month" part of it and still have a pretty organisation. For me it doesn't work :D

If you have more questions, just ask! :)