1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello from Elvis-land

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by xairbusdriver, May 19, 2017.

1. xairbusdriver

xairbusdriver New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Found this forum while searching for a solution to a problem I created for myself. Who needs bugs in a program when there is an idiot in front of the monitor?! :whistling: :humble: :rolleyes:

I had updated my stand-alone version of LR and found that I seemed to have absolutely NO Develop Presets. NONE! Nor did the Import function seem to work! I found several locations that held the various Presets I've downloaded, however the Adobe Presets seemed to have been wiped off the drive(s).

I finally remembered that I had used the "Store presets with this catalog." checkbox. Further, the "Show LR Presets Folder..." worked fine; it brought up a (Mac) Finder window showing where I knew they were! Still, "Importing" just didn't work. The reason was right in front of me in all the days I spent looking at a basically empty LR window. Uhmm... LR was just sitting there politely waiting for me to load some/any image!!:banghead: I guess only an idiot like me would expect LR to show a list of Presets (Develop or any other) when there was no image on which to apply them!!:dummy::wacky::eggface:

Obviously not an experienced LR user. Just hope my 'behavior' helps some one else solve the "missing Presets" problem.

2. oleleclos

oleleclos Light, Colour, Form and Texture

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    You’re not an idiot. Take it from a former software designer: when software confuses the user, it’s more often because the designer is an idiot.

Software that changes behaviour or appearance depending on circumstances is a good example. The other day I was helping my brother setting up a Lightroom Import, but his entire Destination panel was missing. We went through lots of hoops until we found out that the Destination panel only appears once you have selected an import Source. Duh!

Similarly with Presets. They should be visible in the Develop module whether there is an image selected or not. Anything else is bound to confuse many users. Just imagine the controls in your car appearing and disappearing depending on where you are, how fast you are going etc.

Having said that, I have just tried to replicate your situation by opening a new, empty Catalog, and my Presets show up in the Develop module as shown here (inactive, because there is nothing to apply them to, but they are there). I’m running Lr 6.10 Perpetual under OS 10.11.6.

So the problem you describe must be specific to storing the Presets with the Catalog. Another behaviour difference created by thoughtless design.

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 10.34.26.png

3. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    No it's not. The specific behaviour being discussed here, i.e. the visibility of the Presets when no photo is selected does not change regardless of the status of the "Store presets with this catalog" option....all that is likely to change when toggling that option off and on is the contents of the list of presets.

4. oleleclos

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    ...but then why I am seeing my Presets with no photo selected, in fact without any pictures in the Catalog?

5. Jim Wilde

Jim Wilde Lightroom Guru Staff Member Moderator Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.12 / CC 2015.12
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You see the list of preset folders that are available to that catalog (which will depend on the status of the "Store Presets" toggle), regardless of the number of images actually in the catalog (and isn't that what you expected, per your first post?). Until you select an image, however, you can't select any of the individual presets (which is logical to my way of thinking, but not necessarily to everyone).

6. oleleclos

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    That's logic to me too, but not what xairbusdriver describes. He says he had "absolutely NO Develop Presets. NONE!" until he selected an image.

7. xairbusdriver

xairbusdriver New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Oh sure! Drag up the old "logic" argument! :rolleyes: :rofl:

First, thanks for the efforts and explanations! :)

Actually, like many of my 'problems', it's my fault:
    What he meant to say was that nothing could be displayed with the little arrow buttons/triggers. The list of Presets was shown, but none of them could be seen/selected. What was shown was just the names of the directories/folder. I could even find them (except for the default Adobe ones) in Finder and Pathfinder (my preferred file nav app), so I knew they were still on my drives.

I also learned that many Presets, like the images LR accesses, are actually stored just about any place an idiot might put them. The listing of them is simply an internal file, dare I say 'catalog', of their actual location(s).

If I had bothered to show a screen shot it could have saved a few hundred words (may they rest in peace!). "Logic too often depends on thinking." Unfortunately, I often 'think different', just as Steve encouraged us! ;) "Logic is in the mind of the thinker?" :laugh:

8. oleleclos

Lightroom Experience:
    Advanced
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.11.x El Capitan
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Don't I know it. For my sins, I not only designed software, I also wrote software manuals, so I tend to take the written word too literally at times :geek: And having just experienced things disappearing off an Lr menu depending on context, I committed the canrdinal sin: jumping to conclusions.

In any case, it seems we cleared up the issue, and thanks to all our words (none of which I think is wasted) the story is now here for all to read and learn from :)