1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Hello, and a question

Discussion in 'Photoshop & External Editors' started by Ruud Westerhout, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Ruud Westerhout

Ruud Westerhout New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Hello all,

My name is Ruud. I am using LR for some time already, came from version 5.x and have used it as a stand-alone programm all the time.
    I am not a frequent user, but I'd like it to sit on my PC, ready to take action when needed. I have a webgallery set up with JuiceBox which is working very nice.

Some time ago (more than a Year ago) I have donated for a few plugins from Mr. Jeffrey Friedl. I appreciate very much what he created and have donated for Geoencoding, Flickr and Picasa.
    I am able to download and install new versions by placing them in c:\Program Files\Adobe Lightroom\

They are working fine, but for some reason I do not understand the Plugin is not authorized to update itself, in the Plugin Manager it says in red characters : To enable "Plug-in Extras" menu configuration, install this plugin in a location that Lightroom can write.

I do excuse if this has been asked before, can somebody hint me to what I can do to allow this "extra".

I am using Windows 10 (update from Windows 7), LR is currently 6,8.
    Parallel to LR6 I have CS products like Adobe Design and Web Premium CS6, Adobe Production Premium CS5,5 installed.

with best regards,
    Ruud

2. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.13.x High Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Welcome to the forum.

The Plugin needs an Administrative user with privileges to write in "c:\Program Files\Adobe Lightroom\"
    I have mine installed to a MacOS equivalent folder called "C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Plugins\ If you do the same you won't have any problem with Jeffrey's plugin updates installing.

3. Ruud Westerhout

Ruud Westerhout New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Hallo Cletus D. Lee,

Thanks for your answer.
    I would swear I tried this before, but now it seems to work, so I must have made a mistake before.
    -created folder C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\LR Plugins with two plugins in there.
    -used the "Add" Button in the plugin manager to add both folders which end with lrplugin
    -the previous have changed to "disabled" and the red error text is not available in the new one

So thanbks a lot for this support, great help.

Regards,
    Ruud