GPS tracking apps for Android phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
There are a lot of GPS tracking apps for Android phones and I'd like to get input on which one(s) to use from people who have used them to geotag in Lightroom CC/6.

I would like to use a app that is as simple as possible and can store the GPX file directly to my Dropbox account.

Thanks!!

Thommy

gps4cam is by far the best, and I've used a ton of 'em.

Install gps4cam on your desktop, and the app on the phone.

It tracks you (with some settings about accuracy, power, etc). At the end of your photo shoot or whatever you hit a button in the app to bring up a QRCode on the phone. Take a picture of it with your camera.

When you get back to your desktop, open up the desktop application, find the directory with your photos, designate an output directory, and bingo, it will generate geocoded copies. No need to mess with camera clock, time offsets, etc. It can thus link to the SD card, and then geocode and copy all the RAWs, JPEGs etc to your desktop, where they can be added to Lr already geocoded. Of course you could also use the GPX track it generates, etc with Lr itself, but I find using Lr kinda meh for geocoding for various reasons.

Cons are a separate copy off the SD card as opposed to letting Lr copy. Pros are no messing with camera clock synchs, although you can use it that way. The Pro version (not sure if there's still a distinction) can store data in Dropbox; you just use the app to store the data there and then within Lr you fetch the GPX files from Dropbox (although then you gotta know your time offset).

Gpslogger works well for me on an android tablet. I just start it running at the start of a shoot and transfer the resulting gpx file to my desktop via Google drive. I then use Freidl's lightroom plugin to geotag and locate each new image. The plugin is better than the native geotagger and the location tagger is much more flexible than lightroom's Google only one.
I'm in the process of modifying this to use a WiFi hdd (via a verbatim mediashare device) to transfer both my images and the log and so will skip the Google drive transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back