1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

External Editors?

Discussion in 'Photoshop & External Editors' started by russellsnr, Nov 14, 2017.

1. russellsnr

russellsnr Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Operating System:
    Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): 6
    Hi, I understand that you can setup an external editor from L/R but I recently uninstalled Photoshop CS6 that was or I beleive was always by default made the number one external editor if installed on the computer along with L/R.
    Can you input more than the one external editor into L/R if Photoshop is not installed?
    Thankyou,
    Russ

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.13.x High Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The first external editor is always Photoshop (Elements). You can't assign a different one. However, you can assign multiple secondary editors in the following way: Setup a secondary editor and save the settings as a preset. Then setup another one and save that as a preset too. Now you can switch 'on the fly' between these two by choosing the preset rather than the second editor menu.

3. clee01l

clee01l Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.13.x High Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    Classic 7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The default editor is always an adobe editor, a version of Photoshop or PSE. The secondary editors are all added in the second section the external editors tab of preferences. You can add as many additional editors in this section using the dropDownListBox. The then appear on the context menu or sub menu of the main menu.

4. russellsnr

russellsnr Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 7 64-bit
    Lightroom Version:
    6.5 / CC 2015.5
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Thankyou both. Was not sure that if I created an additional external option that the first one would be over written and I would need to start again. Russ.