• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

External Editor (not Photoshop)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heavydoody

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried duping LRCC into thinking a 3rd party app is Photoshop.

Since I do not have Photoshop installed, when I right-click on an image and select "Edit in Photoshop", it asks if I want to browse for Photoshop. I'm tempted to browse to the Affinity Photo or Luminar application file and see if the whole round tripping thing works with one of those apps. I'm afraid to try because I don't know if I'll get that prompt again and be able to change it back.

Anyone tried this? Results?

I'm wondering if anyone out there has tried duping LRCC into thinking a 3rd party app is Photoshop.

Since I do not have Photoshop installed, when I right-click on an image and select "Edit in Photoshop", it asks if I want to browse for Photoshop. I'm tempted to browse to the Affinity Photo or Luminar application file and see if the whole round tripping thing works with one of those apps. I'm afraid to try because I don't know if I'll get that prompt again and be able to change it back.

Anyone tried this? Results?

Before I bought the full CC I did this with Affinity Photo.

Screen Shot 2018-01-17 at 19.32.09.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Can you clarify what version of Lightroom you are talking about? You say "LRCC", which is the recognised name of the new cloud-centric Lightroom application, but do you mean LR Classic, the latest version of the desktop-centric Lightroom application?

Can you clarify what version of Lightroom you are talking about? You say "LRCC", which is the recognised name of the new cloud-centric Lightroom application, but do you mean LR Classic, the latest version of the desktop-centric Lightroom application?

Lightroom CC (cloud). NOT Classic.

It is Photoshop or nothing - at this point.

You can't replace the first editor (Photoshop) by something else.
I'm sure there would be some silly anti-discrimination laws in Australia about that :rofl: :rofl:

Not that it will effect my Lr5; however I feel it's about time Adobe offered more choices for a 'main' ext-editor and have provisions for more ext-editing programs . Adobe needs to learn or at least remember that althought they may be the biggest kid on the block, there is a small army of smaller kids growing up fast; many of which suit the happy- snappers and even the very serious happy-snapper more, and are also easier to learn/use

True it is not an Adobe forum. There are however alternatives to LR nowadays and I for one am jumping ship in May when my contract expires. I am already using DxO for most of my editing. LRCC is just a dimmed down version of Apple Photos which I get that for free.

Maybe you can create a simple symbolic link named "photoshop.exe" pointing to your editor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back