Exporting from Lightroom to Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crotonmark30

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Using latest versions of Lightroom CC and Photoshop CC
I want to take a RAW file from Lightroom, use the blur tool in Photoshop and send it back to Lightroom
I exported the image as a smart object to PS
once it was in PS I got an error message saying that the image needed to be rasterized and that then i couldn't edit it
What am I doing wrong?
What is the correct way to do what I want to do
thanks

Not all Photoshop tools work with smart objects. If a tool does not work with smart objects, you'll get this message that you need to rasterize the smart object first.

The message says 'edits contents' will not be available. That means you cannot get Camera Raw again by double clicking the smart object (because it is no longer a smart object). It does not mean that you cannot edit the rasterized image, because that is now a normal layer.

The message says 'edits contents' will not be available. That means you cannot get Camera Raw again by double clicking the smart object (because it is no longer a smart object). It does not mean that you cannot edit the rasterized image, because that is now a normal layer.
Ok but are use the blur tool after this process nothing happens

Ok but are use the blur tool after this process nothing happens

Then you are probably not using the tool correctly. Check the settings in the toolbar. Is the Mode set to 'normal'? Is the Strength set to more than 0%?

No idea. Google for it. It's basically a brush that applies the same effect as the Gaussian Blur filter does.

Thanks. I had a brush tool selected and all the option one checked but when I used the brush there was no impact on the screen.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The blur tool is not that strong. You have to brush a few times before the effect becomes obvious. Maybe that is why you thought it didn't work.

Very possible. I was trying to blur out the background boats as if I'd shot in f1.8

Very possible. I was trying to blur out the background boats as if I'd shot in f1.8

The blur tool is hardly the tool for that. Select the background, then use the Lens Blur filter.

The blur tool is hardly the tool for that. Select the background, then use the Lens Blur filter.

Thanks Johan for all of your help. I'll try that.
Is the best way to do a round trip from/to Lightroom to export as a smart object ?

Thanks Johan for all of your help. I'll try that.
Is the best way to do a round trip from/to Lightroom to export as a smart object ?

It depends on what you want to do in Photoshop. As said in the beginning of this thread, not all Photoshop tools work with smart objects.

It depends on what you want to do in Photoshop. As said in the beginning of this thread, not all Photoshop tools work with smart objects.

I want to blur the background. Now using the lens blur technique you described. .

I just checked: Lens Blur is the only blur filter that cannot be used with a smart object. So just use 'Edit in Photoshop' from Lightroom, otherwise you'll have to rasterize the smart object anyway.

Ok. I'm going to try later. If I edit in Photoshop does it save back in Lightroom?

Thanks you again Johan - the blur filter worked perfectly.
Now I just need to learn get better at selections!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back