1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
    Dismiss Notice

Error Uploading to SmugMug

Discussion in 'Output Modules' started by Jim Cleworth, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Jim Cleworth

Jim Cleworth New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    On occasion I am getting this error when uploading using a SmugMug plug-in:

upload_2016-12-10_11-21-22.png

I have no idea what to do to correct this or what is causing it. Any ideas?

2. JohanElzenga

JohanElzenga Lightroom Guru Staff Member Lightroom Guru

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.10 / CC 2015.10
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    What happens if you simply try again?

3. Jim Cleworth

Jim Cleworth New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Get the same message.

4. Ferguson

Ferguson Linwood Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    You can turn on debugging in the plugin under the plugin manager. Turn it on, verbose, run it again.

Look through it. It's very wordy, but by finding bits of the export file name in it. It's arcane but don't be intimidated by that, just fine the approximate location where it fails. Look for words in there which may be a clue - authorization, network issues, etc.

You MIGHT find the cause doing that. You might not. If it happens enough to be a bother, though, send that log (and refer to that section) to [email protected] and ask them. The developer for the plugin is very responsive to errors.

Don't report errors, though, which are one time events, or very infrequent. The internet is not always reliable, home connections sometimes fail. They can't help with that. But if there's a clear pattern of certain kinds of images (or a specific image) they can often find and fix bugs quickly.

5. Jim Cleworth

Jim Cleworth New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Thanks for the tip. I will try that.

6. nullifidian

nullifidian New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Mac 10.12.x Sierra
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Happens to me occasionally. Don't know why, but uploading again usually works fine.

7. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Hey Jim,

Help me out here. I'm seeing words that I think are synonyms of each other but since I'm a new to LR, I need someone to confirm this. I see you also use Smugmug.

1) Which of the following 3 words are synonyms of each other: export, publish, upload ?
    2) In SmugMug, I see the words "tag" and "keyword". Are they synonyms?

8. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Jim's probably off trying the publish again, I'll take a shot at that:

Export primarily refers to running an explicit export operation, which you manually invoke, to cause LR to render an image in a certain way (size, color space, format) to a given place. It more generally is a mechanism for getting a photo to be used, for example some products (e.g. Colorchecker Passport) use it as a hook for processing.

Publishing is different in that publishing relates to collections (specifically publishing collections - duh). This is a mechanism where LR keeps track of which files are to be published to some place. That place an just be a disk file, which makes this look a lot like an export, except that there are all sorts of additional mechanics around it to track if the published copy is current, to publish, republish, keep track of what conditions cause a republish, etc. Most any publish involves an (automatic) export under the covers somewhere, but is really about the automation and tracking, which a regular export lacks.

Upload -- I can't think of where that appears in Lightroom.

Keywords are, well, words associated with an image with the intent that you use a limited collection of them, and an expectation that lots of images apply to each one. This is as opposed to titles or other fields which may be unique for each image. Keywords are a standardized thing (more or less) so an image with keywords will have those be visible (and potentially searchable) in other products, only programs, etc.

I can't think of "tag" being used in Lightroom, other than perhaps the idea is to "tag with keywords" or "tag" for facial recognition.

9. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Reply.

Reference Jim's screenshot below. The screen below occurred during "publishing" from LR. The screen uses the words "export results and export operations" and then says "upload failed". This is what I'm referring to as being possible synonyms. Finally, the words "tag" and "keyword" are found on SmugMug screens. This is why I directed this question to Jim as he is a SmugMug user.

On occasion I am getting this error when uploading using a SmugMug plug-in:

[​IMG]

10. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Ah, sorry. Sure, does appear there, I meant in the normal menu selections. Publishing to smugmug does export to a temporary area and then upload to smugmug under the covers. I do not know if it would have given a different error if it failed on the export portion or the upload portion, or if this screen is generic.

Tag on smugmug: No idea.

Sorry for a long general answer to a specific question. Maybe someone can add more applicable info.

11. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I tried to run this by Adobe chat help. A very unpleasant experience to say the least. I ended the chat session prematurely.

12. Jim Cleworth

Jim Cleworth New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    Thanks everyone for covering the question for me. In some cases, what I am doing involves a two step process. I use Export in LR to convert RAW files to JPEG and place them in a folder on my Desktop. Then I will Upload to Facebook, for example. I am not totally happy with how the FB plugins that I have tried work, so export, upload gets me where I want to go. Ferguson's reply re Publishing is spot on but I might use upload generically as the process of getting photos from LR to SmugMug with a plugin.

As far as Keywords, think of them as nouns, if I remember my English lessons - persons, places and things. They are handy for finding all photos of sunsets, say. You can put keywords in the metadata when you import photos into LR in the Import dialog if it applies to all photos or you can select multiple photos in the Library module and apply a keyword to multiple photos at a time. I think the reference to Tag is more of a verb as in the act of Tagging a photo with a keyword or a color code or a map location.

PS - I fixed my problem by removing the photo from the collection and adding it back in again. Then it uploaded/published fine.

Hope this all helps.

13. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Can't wait to try removing photos from the collection and adding them back in again (if I only knew how to do that). I just finished applying a lot of keywords to my four collections. Then I tried publishing them again. This time almost all the photos failed to upload correctly!

Can you recommend a straightforward way to remove all photos from all 4 collections and add them back again? I know I could figure it out but I think you could shorten the process for me.

Thanks

14. Jim Cleworth

Jim Cleworth New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Power User
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    Perpetual (Standalone)
    To remove them from the collection, select the ones you want to remove, right click (PC) and select remove from collection.

15. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    The simplest way if they are not easily identified in the normal folders is to create another, non-published collection. Then go to the published collection, and drag and drop them into the new (temporary) collection which will copy them.

Then select them all in the original and hit remove, then publish -- the first will mark them to be removed (if they have already gone up to the site) and the publish will get rid of them on Smugmug.

Then go to the temp collection, select them all, and drag and drop them into the published (now empty) collection.

Publish.

When creating a collection be sure not to have the "include selected" set in case you are on some unrelated image at the time.

When done, you can just delete the temp (i.e. not published) collection.

Obviously if they are all in one folder and easily identified you don't need to use such a temp collection; the temp collection is just to keep you from, well... collecting them again.

16. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Thank you. Your method cleared up the error messages. I still have one gallery that when the publish progress bar is full, LR leaves a red x at the end of the progress bar but no error message. The publish duration also runs more quickly than normal. Not sure what's happening there yet. Also, when I went to SmugMug after re-publishing from LR, all my photos were duplicated. Apparently I should have deleted them from SmugMug before re-publishing? So I deleted all the images in SmugMug and am repeating the publishing from LR. No more duplicates! Making good progress now. I am really pleased and thankful for people in this forum who are willing to help us new folks through our learning curve. Maybe I'll be able to contribute something after cutting my LR teeth!

17. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I'm glad it is getting straight. The duplication just shouldn't happen, when you delete from a collection and publish, it removes from Smugmug (unless you tell it not to).

The Smugmug plugin for me is very reliable. I would be concerned that it is giving you so much trouble, and involve the smugmug help desk if it continues. What you have seen is not normal -- yes, sometimes we have images that won't upload, but it should be few, far between, and fix itself if you try again.

18. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Jim and Linwood,

I still have one collection that published fine in the past but has now stopped publishing, The images never make it to SmugMug. I put this collection through the same steps as the other 3 but to no avail. The symptoms as best as I can see are:

1) When I click Publish, a small window appears momentarily in the middle of my screen saying "Preparing to export". A little green progress bar begins to fill but disappears quickly.
    2) When the publish progress bar is full, LR leaves a red x at the end of the progress bar but no error message. The publish duration also runs more quickly than normal.
    3) The images do not appear in SmugMug

Thoughts anyone?

19. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
  20. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Here's the log content. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

01/26/2017 17:32:40 DEBUG SmPublishService.processRenderedPhotos - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:40 DEBUG SmCommon.callMethod - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:40 DEBUG Timestamp Offset: 0
    01/26/2017 17:32:40 DEBUG GET: https://api.smugmug.com/api/v2!auth...consumer_key=BTTwWm1mLRzh2kRdrrwGqKuwukywa76g
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG HTTP Status: 200
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmCommon.callMethod - end
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmUpdate.shouldPrompt - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmUpdate.shouldPrompt - end
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmAlbum.create - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmFolder.checkParents - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmFolder.checkParents - end
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmCommon.callMethod - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG Timestamp Offset: 0
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG POST: https://api.smugmug.com/api/v2/albu...consumer_key=BTTwWm1mLRzh2kRdrrwGqKuwukywa76g
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG HTTP Status: 404
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG {"Comments":false,"Filenames":true,"Printable":false,"Share":false}
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG []
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmCommon.callMethod - end
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmAlbum.create - end
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmAlbum.getImagesWithMetadata - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG SmCommon.callMethod - start
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG Timestamp Offset: 0
    01/26/2017 17:32:41 DEBUG GET: https://api.smugmug.com/api/v2/albu...consumer_key=BTTwWm1mLRzh2kRdrrwGqKuwukywa76g
    01/26/2017 17:32:42 DEBUG HTTP Status: 404
    01/26/2017 17:32:42 DEBUG {"Response":{"Uri":"/api/v2/album/qp9XWm!images?_verbosity=1&_accept=application%2Fjson&oauth_version=1.0&oauth_signature=c7%2Bp9vCMqxZTP5UaMUO6O%2BvmWWE%3D&oauth_signature_method=HMAC-SHA1&_noredirect=true&_config=%7B%22expand%22%3A%7B%22ImageMetadata%22%3A%5B%5D,%22ImageSizes%22%3A%7B%22expand%22%3A%7B%22ImageSizeSmall%22%3A%7B%22filter%22%3A%5B%22Url%22%5D%7D%7D,%22filter%22%3A%5B%5D,%22filteruri%22%3A%5B%22ImageSizeSmall%22%5D%7D%7D,%22filter%22%3A%5B%22Altitude%22,%22Caption%22,%22FileName%22,%22Format%22,%22KeywordArray%22,%22Latitude%22,%22Longitude%22,%22OriginalHeight%22,%22OriginalSize%22,%22OriginalWidth%22,%22ThumbnailUrl%22,%22Title%22,%22Uri%22,%22WebUri%22%5D,%22filteruri%22%3A%5B%22ImageSizes%22,%22ImageMetadata%22%5D%7D&oauth_token=MP6h2K9FBkS3cFkR7hhDVNPkvqM6cVjD&count=500&oauth_nonce=207ec0d2d272b9dadafa87750fd396e1&oauth_timestamp=1485477161&oauth_consumer_key=BTTwWm1mLRzh2kRdrrwGqKuwukywa76g","Locator":"AlbumImage","LocatorType":"Objects"},"Code":404,"Message":"Not Found"}
    01/26/2017 17:32:42 DEBUG SmCommon.callMethod - end

21. Ferguson

Lightroom Experience:
    Intermediate
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.8 / CC 2015.8
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    Are you sure the album is still on Smugmug at the URL indicated in the gallery definition?

Though I don't understand why you are unwilling to ask SMugmug, it's what you are paying them for, and they have the info to debug this stuff, visibility of your account and galleries, etc.

22. Cuzzinbrucie

Cuzzinbrucie New Member

Lightroom Experience:
    Beginner
    Primary OS:
    Windows 10
    Lightroom Version:
    6.7 / CC 2015.7
    Lightroom License:
    CC Subscription
    I sent it to them also. I checked the URL in SM and it comes up ok.