Don't import suspected duplicates - not working in Lightroom 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrahamP

Lightroom Experience
Power User
For a long time I have relied on checking "Don't import selected duplicates" to do just that, I can be lazy (or, as I prefer to put it, prudent) in not deleting files from my card in my camera before taking more pictures if I do not have to, or if I forget to clear the card first, and then I just rely on using this option only to import the new files when I hook up my camera to my computer.

That is, until Lightroom 6. This worked faultlessly under Lightroom 5 and earlier, with never a problem, literally hundreds of times. Today, I used exactly the same workflow as previously, but Lightroom 6 (standalone, not CC version) refused to recognise the old previously imported files on my card which were already on my hard drive and catalogued as duplicates.

I did not have time to sort out the new from the old in the import dialogue box, so imported all the files on my camera card into the location required for the genuinely new files, then sorted by date and moved the obvious duplicates into another folder, which I called "suspected duplicates" (imagination and creativity in my folder naming were never my strong points...). As an experiment, and having double checked that the files in the suspected duplicates folder really were duplicates of files already on my hard drive and in the catalogue from a previous import, I removed all the files in the suspected duplicates folder from the catalogue (I did not delete the files though). I then synchronised the folder tree which contained the suspected duplicates folder, and again all of the files in the suspected duplicates folder showed up as new imports, and were not caught by the "Don't import suspected duplicates" filter. I then removed them from the catalogue a second time, and then used the import dialogue to point to the suspected duplicates folder - same result, not recognised as duplicates.

Looks like this simply does not work properly in Lightroom 6. Anyone else encountered this? From now on, I will try to remember to clear my cards once the photos have been downloaded from them, before I shoot anything else.

Graham

Just came across a batch where time/date stamps are the same and still there are duplicates. I'm back in 2014, having cleaned 2015 (many photos).

I'll settle for a routine that will keep the duplicates from showing up again once I get them all out. . . . It sounds like making folders on the SD cards will help there. The phone is another question.

This has gotten worse and worse over the past 18 months.
Used to be sometimes it missed a batch of dups.
Now Lightroom fails to spot duplicates at all.
Mac ElCap-Sierra, Lightroom 6.0-6.5, loading from a card in the Mac reader.

Before you do anything else Neil, upgrade to 6.7, as earlier versions aren't supported on Sierra.

I have had the same problem for a while... 5D Mark IV ... Lightroom CC... now this worked for me several times now ..so I present it as a work around... When I go to Import ..My SD card I just loaded is at the top left of importable files under Devices... All of the pictures I just imported are not greyed out... I just went down to the other folders under FILES below the SD card which included my hard drive I import to and just get it to recognize any RAW file in the lower files... I don't import ..then...I just click back on the top SD card under Devices which didn't grey out old imports before and now it works... been good for a week or so now...???????? I'm just Sayn'

As I look at the times I was in the U.K. and Iceland, well, yeah, it gets even more complicated to try to make a coherent plan of adjustment.

I know it will not suit everyone.... but I set my cameras to UTC time .... no matter where I am in the world. I never have to worry about Time Zones or Winter / Summer time. Particularly useful if doing a lot of travel.

Regarding checking for Duplicates... since the first beta of Lr I have never trusted this function in Lr. I format my cards immediately after import to specifically avoid a duplicate image scenario.

Also, so sad that .....
Sadly, I doubt these will ever be fixed as they'll never get a sufficiently high priority

that known fundamental flaws are not resolved.

I know it will not suit everyone.... but I set my cameras to UTC time .... no matter where I am in the world. I never have to worry about Time Zones or Winter / Summer time. Particularly useful if doing a lot of travel.
Nikon seems to have solved that problem. My camera has two times. UTC and a local time zone. UTC gets updated automatically every time I connect my GPS. I need to remember to change my local time zone and if I forget, then I can adjust after the fact when I remember or in LR.

I have had the same problem for a while... 5D Mark IV ... Lightroom CC... now this worked for me several times now ..so I present it as a work around... When I go to Import ..My SD card I just loaded is at the top left of importable files under Devices... All of the pictures I just imported are not greyed out... I just went down to the other folders under FILES below the SD card which included my hard drive I import to and just get it to recognize any RAW file in the lower files... I don't import ..then...I just click back on the top SD card under Devices which didn't grey out old imports before and now it works... been good for a week or so now...???????? I'm just Sayn'

I've been having this same issue, and this suggestion solved it for me. ...for now, anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back